Walker to Manly BUT Buhrer to Newcastle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would like to enjoy footy success.... but at what price?
Seems we are selling our soul.
Will winning the GF with a team of mercenaries taste as sweet as a win with true Manly men?

I guess that's just the way footy is played out these days. For better or worse, Manly is just another footy team now, no longer something special.

I fear those in control have sterilized our game. It has gone downhill since the sense of tribalism was removed.
Our God Father started this in 72 when we won our first premiership with players like Oniell Branighan Irvine and Mal Rielly and now all successful professional clubs have followed suit .
As far as I am concerned any player that puts on a Manly jumper and is baptised in the maroon and white Sea eagle spirit is one of us
Don't tell me that when you see our captain who left the eels to wear our colours is not something special to you
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!!
3206126-3x4-700x933.jpg

Our God Father started this in 72 when we won our first premiership with players like Oniell Branighan Irvine and Mal Rielly and now all successful professional clubs have followed suit .
As far as I am concerned any player that puts on a Manly jumper and is baptised in the maroon and white Sea eagle spirit is one of us
Don't tell me that when you see our captain who left the eels to wear our colours is not something special to you
View attachment 2582
agree with you there,players come and go but once you put on this great jersey then your in the family.

For those out of the loop, we invented this ruthless approach to building teams in the past. To Des Hasler's great credit, he was the only one in recent memory to build it up from the ground-the ashes that was Northern Beagles. To do this, building a strong player culture and us against them mentality was required. The players bought in beautifully to that. However it got out of control under Toovey's watch. This was the only model that players like Choc, Foran, Matai and the Stewart's understood. To be fair to them, they thought they were doing the best thing for the club.
Unfortunately, Tooves was undermined in the process (Zorba's role should not be understated) and the factions grew to breaking point. Arko has acknowledged this, however he has been respectful and reserved in his public comments.
It's a new era, and we need to embrace it 100% Tough decisions are being made for the betterment of this great club. There is no room for sentiment.

Did you actually watch Moneyball? What they are doing is nothing like it.
Yes. Flicking players based on their recent stats, is what it was about and that is exactly what Manly are doing.
Buy cheap and hope for the best, then bring in a new set :cool:

The churning of coaches and players is diminishing the tribalism of League :mad:

No Manly district representation soon and that is sad :(

I do not believe that a contrived Team will fight for each other for 26 weeks when the scoreboard is against them.

View attachment 2582
Yes but those guys became Manly & ended their great careers with us...
well, almost all of them.;).

The guys that were great for us then left were generally @ careers end and offered monopoly money to leave - consequently the general sentiment was "well you have bled for us & served us well. You have received an offer you would be insane to reject... thanks for the memories & all the best for the future"

I recall Arthurson's stated modus operandi was when you have an opening, you go out & fill it with the best player available.
I would add: You don't trash your own.

I hate seeing good true Manly men being shown the door. But I do understand that we have now begun doing as other clubs do.

1 eyed eel supporter claiming his legal mate has seen the 2017 contract. Look on 1 eyed eel the walker poised to join manly thread page 4

Buhrer lost me after his first couple of games....I was very underwhelmed and he seemed light weight and constantly gave away penalties. Then in 2011 I got him. He showed me what others had already seen, a lion heart, a good step and great defence.

If he is going that's sad, but I will say this, we have made major changes leading into 2016 best to make these unpopular changes (or at least ones that tug at our heart strings) quickly and around the same time. Better to endure this time of change in one big swoop rather than death by a thousand cuts. But that's just my view.

1 eyed eel supporter claiming his legal mate has seen the 2017 contract. Look on 1 eyed eel the walker poised to join manly thread page 4
No idea why you regard information off a supporter forum that has nought to do with either the Sea Eagles or Rabbitohs as credible. In fact you pretty much swear on anything written in the media or forums as gospel so I'm not at all surprised.

Buhrer offers so much more the ****ing Lewis brown and Tom symonds. This is a stupid move.. Buyer makes 35 tackles and 15 hit ups a match, is an underrated line runner and great offloader.

Dumb move if true. Plenty of dead wood lying around that should be sold off before Jamie.. I really hope this isn't true.

I don't think we need walker this year.. Possibly next. But I would be more inclined to keep our powder dry and reload with bird in 17.

All these suggestions of other players to offload are missing one point - you need a willing buyer.

I don't like the idea of Buhrer going (is it only DCE left from that years U20's team?) but if it is for the ultimate benefit of my team I will learn to like it.

NoOoOoOOOO ! :( Buhrer is amazing - this would suck if true ! Maybe the club sees Demetriou as an entity? Then again, we could go:-

11. Feleti Mateo
12. Tom Symonds
13. Marty Taupau

17. Lewis Brown

Which is still pretty handy.

There is no one on that list that will make 50 tackles. That's what's required to replace Matt and Jamie.

Last edited:
I think Barrett thinks Brown and Buhrer are similar players, so one has to go.

Unforunately Brown won't be going anyway.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7