Waste of bench space

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
For all those interested in the debate on how to use our bench,it might be worthwhile to watch the Panthers/Eels game this afternoon.(whether you like them or not) Both sides have forward packs and benches set up to use 4 running forwards off the bench,although slightly differently.Panthers will probably rotate Kikau out for Naera,probably Merrin for Harris and rotate in and then out Leota/McKendry for Tamou/Gillard,this leaves one late change which could be Kikau or Merrin back in for Yeo.If the backrow rotates in the first half it will be interesting to see if those big backrowers get tired late in the game or if not and they rotate in the second half whether the edges leak points late in the first half.Also interesting to see if there are HIAs' in the backs and how they cover any disruptions as only Yeo can play in the backs and if it disrupts their forwards at all.Parra is slightly different as they have 2 edge backrowers on the bench who can cover in the backs and look slightly more mobile/lighter/fitter? than the Panthers backrowers(it looks like our bench except Scott is there for L.Brown,although Scott just defends on the edge now[he rarely runs much now],but does it better than Brown)I will be interested to see how/when they use Takairangi/Scott this arvo.I am not for or against using 4 man forward benches as there are many tactics you can use,if we use a bench like this it would mean a change in tactics with Thompson and Sironen and I have no idea if this would pose much disruption or not.(having to completely change now what we do)I am just interested to see how successful/effective the tactics are....

I noticed Frank Winterstein was on the field when Pearce kicked the winning field goal. He did play after all.

After watching the Panthers game,I think it might be useful to have a big edge runner on the bench who gets some minutes and that would mean giving either Thompson or Sironen a break at the middle of the first half and coming back on with last 20 minutes to play.Kikau came off the bench due to being so hot I think,(both he and Gillard started off the bench).He was extremely effective and I thought was crucial to swinging momentum the panthers way by punching holes down the left and getting quick play the balls.If we look to do that then maybe we need to give Franky more time and instruction to do so,but maybe it is better to have Perrett on the bench up the middle and have Lane or Tanginoa play 20 minutes each side of the half to run amok down the edges.It would mean that the 2 props would not be able to come on at the death as there would only be one interchange left.I am happy to give what we are doing now more time as we seem to have the forwards to match other packs,but it is an option to look at....

I will also add that you have to coach what is in front of you.The panthers had no ball and needed some changes at the 20 minute mark,we were dominating in the middle and bringing on an edge backrower just for the sake of sticking to a plan would have been wasting an interchange and unnecessary at the 20 minute mark.The question I have is whether Winterstein can play a wrecking ball type of game like Kikau on the edge (if Brown is there,then Brown can play long minutes on the edge if there is an injury which means no need for Franky).If Hastings is in the side,then maybe Winterstein is necessary....ducks and drakes.....

People aren't blowing up that Brown didn't get on. It's the fact that the wrong bench was selected. 3 forwards and Hastings.
It's a moot point who is/was on the bench anyway - we had three forwards and a utility on the bench.
If they are not all used it doesn't matter who they are.
If the utility is not going to get on unless there is an injury then Hastings is better off getting confidence and match fitness in reggies is he not?

Easy fix. We've just got to get a shorter bench. We don't need one for 4 players, just for two.

I don't actually see what the big deal is.

Jake, Siro and Thommo can all play 80 and so can Api. That leaves only the props that need a rest and both Lane and Tanginoa did a bloody good job when they were on. Playing Lane in the middle was one thing I thought Barrett got right on Friday night. It stops him hiding out on the edges and being lazy and forces him to get involved and use his God given size to advantage.

Lets be honest, Frank wouldn't have added anything other than a fresh set of legs, and only if he got involved.

TBH the only changes I would make are Perrett for Winterstein as a 3rd prop (Lane or Tanginoa can easily play back row if needed), and while I would like to see Hastings at 5/8 and Croker as the utility, its not going to happen for a while yet (if at all) so Hastings for Brown on the bench.

Brown and Winterstein as the back rowers for Blacktown wouldn't be too bad, but they are wasted in the NRL side. Brown doesn't offer much other than utility value covering centre, hooker and back row, all of which we can cover more effectively with others, especially if we used Hastings, while Frank is wasted on the bench.

Last edited:
I would have Jackson Hastings at least on the bench so if we are in a tight game like this one, he could be introduced and be an alternative option for field goals, he covers the halves and hooker, he could give Api some badly needed support during a game. It is folly to pretty much have 2 bench players and not use them!!

Even allowing for extra time , the reported 66 tackles by A P i against the knights was an enormous effort and with such a work load on a continuous basis over the season , probably would an effect on his overall performance over the eighty . So if A P I does need a rest . had to say who to look to , a lively Fuinu , a versatile Hastings or the more then predictable L . Brown .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8