Watmough to The Eels

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
gee its been nearly 2 weeks since the telecrap has put up something about our club falling apart...AGAIN......So I guess it had to happen

Why don't they chase the Broncos salary cap....or something real....

susan said:
It is not bull**** in one sense as they don't get on particularly well.....it is bull**** in the sense that it is impossible for 25 blokes to all be great mates.Will it hurt us given how many of our blokes have already climbed Everest once and sometimes twice and how much desire remains to get over obstacles?...the next few months will answer that.

It'd be kind of ironic if the driving motivation for the playing group this year was to send Gifty off with another premiership ring.

ManlyMit said:
Would really love to know if there is any truth to all these reports that there is a divide at Manly over the whole Glenn Stewart saga. It's starting to get a bit boring now. Fair enough everyone is upset Stewart bas been forced out but really they all need to get over it. Who would they rather; an injury prone back rower hitting the twilight of his career, or one of the best half backs in the game, and I think a future QLD and Australian captain. I know which one I would rather have and I certainly know which one is going to lead us to more success over the next 5 years. We are living in the 21st Century, money talks & bulls@#t walks!!

How many of them walked out when the club made the decision to Beaver go, due to Cap pressure?

IF this is truly their attitude to the loss of Gift, then go. The fans will thank you for your efforts and committment, but don't expect us to drop our bundle everytime the club makes a tough choice to ensure our sustained success.

HappilyManly said:
EagleRock40 said:
His market value might be more than that, but so was Beaver's in his last few years. Did you see Beaver getting in a bidding war with Manly and a rival club to get as much money as he could???
Cooper Cronk signed his last contract for about $500k, so he could stay with a group of mates and be a genuine chance at winning a premiership and being competitive every year.
1) There is no bidding war, just speculation on what DCE is worth by the Media.
2) Beaver was Manly's highest paid Player after the SL. He also networked himself into businesses that were a direct result of his being Manly's favourite Son. So financially he was better off staying.
3) Cronk signed prior to the inflated market values eventuated. Tedesco just signed for 800k FFS, he ain't no Cronk.
4) According to all Media reports, DCE is hated by the Stewarts and now Choc, so mateship can not be a factor in his negotiations then, can it ?

I am at a loss as to why this brilliant and talented Manly Player is constantly besmirched by Manly Fans for being a realist :huh: :mad:

ME TOO!!! I hope Cherry doesn't move on from Manly because he gets sick of being made a scapegoat for players making up there own minds to leave Manly. I would hate to see the media succeed in their obvious intention of turning DCE into the next Jason Taylor.

I think if the media keep spewing bullsh1t about the Cherry, and our fans keep falling for it and perpetuating the fraud....Cherry will return to Qld where he will be loved and appreciated every week, no matter which of the Qld sides he may choose to play for.

Cherry Evans is in his fourth year of first grade so to equate that with Menzies who had played ten by the time he was taking pay cuts is stupid.

DCE is worth a million a year. Foran just under that. Manly have own games with little john and DCE this weekend we find out if they can win with Foran and littlejohn. Keep them both and buhrer and a few classy backs with the turbojets about to launch we are in for another ten years of finals. Let players with their best years behind them take the money an run. Like Bozo did.

tookey said:
choc supposedly has a $900k backended deal next year which means he then he won't be going anywhere.

I understand the concept of backended but - sheeeeesh!
Assuming he spends his usual time out for injury/origin and we make it to the big game - he'd still be getting $100k per game. That's $1250 per minute on the field. Sheeeeesh!

lsz said:
How many of us on here knew the true nature of Choc's injury?

That is a fair reflection of how, even with most people "sources", what gets reported in the media and what is going on is not always correct. There are often a number of factors in play (agents, fellow players, even the club)

Who knows this might be correct, chances are this is more paper talk to clicks online

I did. lol

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
HappilyManly said:
EagleRock40 said:
His market value might be more than that, but so was Beaver's in his last few years. Did you see Beaver getting in a bidding war with Manly and a rival club to get as much money as he could???
Cooper Cronk signed his last contract for about $500k, so he could stay with a group of mates and be a genuine chance at winning a premiership and being competitive every year.
2) Beaver was Manly's highest paid Player after the SL. He also networked himself into businesses that were a direct result of his being Manly's favourite Son. So financially he was better off staying.
3) Cronk signed prior to the inflated market values eventuated. Tedesco just signed for 800k FFS, he ain't no Cronk.
4) According to all Media reports, DCE is hated by the Stewarts and now Choc, so mateship can not be a factor in his negotiations then, can it ?

I am at a loss as to why this brilliant and talented Manly Player is constantly besmirched by Manly Fans for being a realist :huh: :mad:

I think the main reasons are as follows:-
1. He is a Queenslander
2. The negotiation dramas of a few years ago & the threat to walk out on his contract (albeit orchestrated by his grub manager)
3. His father's links with the Broncos
4. His already big contract which may double in size.

Manly fans don't want to see us become the next NQ Cowboys and be weighed under by 1 massive deal for 1 player.

Im getting tired of drama taking over Manly every year. For once i would have liked to focus on the game it self rather than players self egos.

EagleRock40 said:
Daly is being greedy, no ifs no buts. This core group of players over the years have taken less in their first couple of seasons to ensure the squad sticks together and as a result we have not missed the finals for 10 years and won 2 premierships. This culture I'm sure would be passed down to the younger guys, but DCE is ignoring it and trying to get the most $$$ out of every club he talks to. Does he not realise, he could accept maybe $500k for the next 3 years (very good coin btw), then his next deal could be up around $1mil per year after guys like Killer, Choc, Matai, Snake, King have all retired???

But what happens if he does do that and then gets an injury that ruins his career just as he is about to get his payday?

HappilyManly said:
EagleRock40 said:

Because before these players came along, the Manly club had never experienced any success in 60 odd years. And when they go, the club will not survive without them...

re: Choc, great player for us over many seasons.

He may be seeing the writing on the wall though - next year he is by all accounts heavily backended. He is already 30. Recent history shows he may not get an offer anywhere near this size for his next contract from Manly. If he wants a longer career on decent money he may well have to leave.

Let's hope whatever happens he doesn't carry on like a two-bob watch in the media. I think Gift did a good job at staying professional. We all understood how he felt, but he kept a lid on it.

Manly needs to concentrate on re-signing the Trbo brothers, Gutho, buhrer, dce, kieran etc, no question.

Agree with a lot of whats being said here - never believe anything about us that's written in the Telegraph is obviously the golden rule.

BUT if there's 1% truth to it I would say this - Choc has been an unbelievable servant to Manly no question ...legend...BUT from a future viewpoint anybody can see he is an "engine" player not a skill player and he's now the wrong side of 30 and the engine is slowing down...he's probably trying to get 1 more big payday and he aint gonna get it with us ( other than his supposed cash bonanza in 2015 etc ). He's probably entitled to leave if he wants after years of service but it aint gonna cripple the club in my opinion ( at this stage of his career ). If he gets a 2 or 3 year deal at Parra on big $$$$ he should take it & we should wish him well.

And yes another thing I am sick of the way DCE is being vilified ( by a small minority ) be it in the press or elsewhere. The kid is a super player who we are blessed to have and we should do EVERYTHING we can to retain him.

Some of these blokes who are now hitting 30 and being squeezed out had the shoe on the other foot entirely when they were 25 and other older players of the time were squeezed out...its the same thing. Don't recall so much crying to the press about it though.

it's all manager / agent talk.
they probably want to fast track sorting out details of the next contract and get it done now rather than be placed in the same situation as Glen was where the outcome may, or may not be similar negotiating in that final year of it. Saves the drama.. so like every manager / agent these days.. they take it to the media to get wheel in motion and use the 'fan anger' to get their deal done.

slimey.

I have many sources outside the club close to the players including myself.Choc knows no other club will be more competitive than manly in the next few years.He's stated he'll do anything to stay trust me.

According to MWSE Choc's bday is 10-07-1983, so he is not quite 30 yet. He will be 31 next year, so will be turning 32 in the 1st year of his next contract.

And, sorry to remind you all, he was just picked to play in one of the toughest Origins ever, put in his usual massive effort despite carrying an injury in, and was on the winning side.
Age can be a positive. A younger Choc had a bunch of talent combined with a hot head and slippery hands. The current version may be a little slower but the maturity and passion he brings to his game are worth a great deal more than that younger version.

Shoe1 said:
According to MWSE Choc's bday is 10-07-1983, so he is not quite 30 yet. He will be 31 next year, so will be turning 32 in the 1st year of his next contract.

I think you'll find he's 31.

the mauler said:
Shoe1 said:

I think you'll find he's 31 this year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8