Who do we bring in

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yea I agree, the problem with Manly for the past few years is that we have selected to many "meatheads" of forwards who just try to run hard and tackle hard without adopting to the new style of play through rule changes with an emphasis on ruck speed and mobility. For teams to be successful these days you need a mobile and speedy hooker, lock and at least 2 bench forwards.

I know there is minimal top quality mobile locks currently on the market but the only options currently is ryan matterson who suits manly style of attacking mindset but we probably won't have salary to purchase him so a swap would have to occur.

But the ideal signing that would be most likely would be Connor Watson to play as a ball playing lock off the bench who's currently off contract. I know doubt from signing Watson maybe that it distracts from the minutes Gordy and Croker, as well as you won't want these 3 playing together at the same time because one would basically have to be playing front row.

But this is an estimated prediction of how they can play together.

8. Paseka - 40 mins
9. Croker - First 50 mins at hooker
10. Lodge - 35 mins (Aloiai) -
11. Olakuau'ata - 80
12. Schuster (burbo) - 80
13. Jake - 60 mins - First 20 mins at lock then 20-40 and 60-80 at front row

14. Gordy - Last 30 mins at hooker
15. Sipley - 20 mins 60-80 (Brown, James)
16. Bullemor 25 mins (Waddell) - Both can play backrow if there is injury
17. Watson - Next 60 mins at lock - Can play centre if there is injury to outside backs.

The problem of Manly lately has been that they don't maximise the use of their bench and they rely to heavily of their starting 13. This is where players like Jake have been playing 80 mins where he is fatigued and gives sloppy set restarts and can't effectively engage defenders when playing first receiver in attack - he should be playing 60 minutes.
Additionally, for the bigger forwards like Paseka, lodge, Sipley, Aloiai, potentially Brown and James if they play is that we need to take them off earlier giving them maximum 40 mins giving them short sharp stints.

The focus here is gaining faith in the team that players can play at a higher intensity and play shorter minutes and we utilize our bench more in games instead of 2 people playing less then 10 mins every game.

Doing this combined with signings of more athletic and mobile forwards will help with our line speed and reduce errors through less fatigue by tiring forwards.

Overall, I like Seibold's coaching style and believe he is striving towards this plan through his focus on creating "competition for spots". I know fans out there are frustrated that we aren't signing many marquee stars but instead a lot of solid players that will battle out of spots. Because Ultimately the standards in the team are driven by the players who are missing out resulting in all players motivated to maintain or earn a spot instead of a large gap between starting squad and NSW Cup team.

Keen for thoughts...
good post. Nice footy talk

i believe manlys playing style and pack of forwards have been at odds for years and have mentioned it a fair few times. something had to change and while i figured our style would be quicker than mass personal changes, finally something is starting to give

Is there enough cap space and talent available is still to be determined to make this effective in the short term i suppose. Im not sure that matters as we had done 13th to death

Let me start by throwing my weight behind a hooker that is in line with the NRL standards in the twenty twenties. . i like the thought of another attacking threat but we are pretty stacked with attacking threats,if we get our game in order, we just rarely convert into competition points, and in turn the confidence and belief a string of wins brings a side.

manly also need a clutch of gutsy wins against decent opponents to rid itself of the flat tack bully tag that it owns with distinction for the same reasons

my main concern is after watching manly for the last 5 years i feel the fans are a little hoodwinked in that we believe more points is the only way to progress and convert goodgame positions into wins. we throw away great leads far too often by throwing all the winnings on red hoping the opposition crumbles rather than showing a resilient front

A sharp hooker that engages may help us put the sword to teams when we have the foot on the throats but our underbelly is tontine soft.

we lack players that can steer the ship , when they hear the footsteps chasing them down. a player that knows the journey to success through resolve.

good hookers cost coin and IMO we need a leader who can steer that ship more. If gordon progresses we should be able to afford him and frog for a few seasons but i wouldnt be chasing a harry grant as example

frog only having one more season and only signing a 1 year extension makes you wonder about his future at the eagles though

Sea Eagles 2024 Player Movements

2024 Gains
Luke Brooks (Tigers, 2027),Jaxson Paulo (Roosters, 2026),Tommy Talau(Tigers, 2025) Aitasi James (Tigers, 2025) Corey Waddell (Dogs 2024)
2024 Losses
Latu Fainu(Tigers), Samuela Fainu (Tigers) Kelma Tuilagi (Eels) Morgan Harper (Eels) Sean Keppie (Souths) Kaeo Weekes (Raiders)
Off Contract 2023
Morgan Boyle, Jacob Sykes, Aaron Woods, Jamie Humphreys (one article says his resign but no club statement)
Players are in no particular order

1.Tom Trbojevic
2.Jason Saab
3.Reuben Garrick
4.Tolutau Koula
5.Christian Tuipulotu
6.Luke Brooks
7.Daly Cherry-Evans
8.Taniela Paseka
9.Lachlan Croker
10.Jake Trbojevic
11.Haumole Olakau'atu
12.Josh Schuster
13.Josh Aloiai

14.Ben Trbojevic
15.Ethan Bullemor
16.Toafofoa Sipley
17. Gordon Chan Kum Tong

18.Brad Parker
19.Jake Arthur
20.Aitasi James
21.Tommy Talau
22.Jaxson Paulo
23.Dean Matterson
24.Ray Vaega
25.Corey Waddell
26.Zac fulton free to leave
27.Ben Condon free to leave
28.Karl Lawton free to leave (might be going to the UK)
29.No player signed
30.No player signed

Nathan Brown in talks

Development players Nil

Sea Eagles 2024 Player Movements

2024 Gains
Luke Brooks (Tigers, 2027),Jaxson Paulo (Roosters, 2026),Tommy Talau(Tigers, 2025) Aitasi James (Tigers, 2025) Corey Waddell (Dogs 2024)
2024 Losses
Latu Fainu(Tigers), Samuela Fainu (Tigers) Kelma Tuilagi (Eels) Morgan Harper (Eels) Sean Keppie (Souths) Kaeo Weekes (Raiders)
Off Contract 2023
Morgan Boyle, Jacob Sykes, Aaron Woods, Jamie Humphreys (one article says his resign but no club statement)
Players are in no particular order

1.Tom Trbojevic
2.Jason Saab
3.Reuben Garrick
4.Tolutau Koula
5.Christian Tuipulotu
6.Luke Brooks
7.Daly Cherry-Evans
8.Taniela Paseka
9.Lachlan Croker
10.Jake Trbojevic
11.Haumole Olakau'atu
12.Josh Schuster
13.Josh Aloiai

14.Ben Trbojevic
15.Ethan Bullemor
16.Toafofoa Sipley
17. Gordon Chan Kum Tong

18.Brad Parker
19.Jake Arthur
20.Aitasi James
21.Tommy Talau
22.Jaxson Paulo
23.Dean Matterson
24.Ray Vaega
25.Corey Waddell
26.Zac fulton free to leave
27.Ben Condon free to leave
28.Karl Lawton free to leave (might be going to the UK)
29.No player signed
30.No player signed

Nathan Brown in talks

Development players Nil
first 25 all agree with but last 5 players should / will be;
26. Lodge - why we sold keepie for basically a straight swap
27. Brown - last year we lacked depth in middle forwards with mungril so will be a good sigining
28. Humphries - young player who is emerging through and we need depth in halves / hooker and is the type of player that will succeed heavily after the signing of Micheal Ennis. If Croker or Gordie get injured after establishing the double hooker strategy is effective he could play 14 as well.
29. Caleb Navale - Fiji international lock who has a high work rate, has great mobility and can play long minutes. Only fault will be just lacks experience and him and Asitai James can learn a lot from Woodsy in NSW cup and from Jakey when training in 1st grade spot.
30. Honestly this spot is pretty much available for anyone to sign for, with humphries becoming more of a hooker now we do only have 1 half cover and that's jake Arthur so may need another backup half. Connor Watson will be ideal signing from here but probably won't have salary.

Current depth
1.Tom Trbojevic - koula / garrick fullback - parker centre
2.Jason Saab - paulo (only play 1 of them as you need at least 1 yardage winger)
3.Reuben Garrick - parker then talau
4.Tolutau Koula - parker then talau
5.Christian Tuipulotu - vaega
6.Luke Brooks - arthur
7.Daly Cherry-Evans - brooks 7 arthur 6
8.Taniela Paseka - lodge, brown, james, navale
9.Lachlan Croker - gordy
10.Jake Trbojevic - lodge, brown, james, navale
11.Haumole Olakau'atu - burbo, waddell, maddo
12.Josh Schuster - burbo, waddell, maddo
13.Josh Aloiai - jake to lock then use front row depth

14.Ben Trbojevic - maddo (utility forward)
15.Ethan Bullemor - waddell (transform into middle forward with speed like bully)
16.Toafofoa Sipley - lodge, brown, james, navale (enforcer off bench role)
17. Gordon Chan Kum Tong - humphries (back up hooker)

first 25 all agree with but last 5 players should / will be;
26. Lodge - why we sold keepie for basically a straight swap
27. Brown - last year we lacked depth in middle forwards with mungril so will be a good sigining
28. Humphries - young player who is emerging through and we need depth in halves / hooker and is the type of player that will succeed heavily after the signing of Micheal Ennis. If Croker or Gordie get injured after establishing the double hooker strategy is effective he could play 14 as well.
29. Caleb Navale - Fiji international lock who has a high work rate, has great mobility and can play long minutes. Only fault will be just lacks experience and him and Asitai James can learn a lot from Woodsy in NSW cup and from Jakey when training in 1st grade spot.
30. Honestly this spot is pretty much available for anyone to sign for, with humphries becoming more of a hooker now we do only have 1 half cover and that's jake Arthur so may need another backup half. Connor Watson will be ideal signing from here but probably won't have salary.

Current depth
1.Tom Trbojevic - koula / garrick fullback - parker centre
2.Jason Saab - paulo (only play 1 of them as you need at least 1 yardage winger)
3.Reuben Garrick - parker then talau
4.Tolutau Koula - parker then talau
5.Christian Tuipulotu - vaega
6.Luke Brooks - arthur
7.Daly Cherry-Evans - brooks 7 arthur 6
8.Taniela Paseka - lodge, brown, james, navale
9.Lachlan Croker - gordy
10.Jake Trbojevic - lodge, brown, james, navale
11.Haumole Olakau'atu - burbo, waddell, maddo
12.Josh Schuster - burbo, waddell, maddo
13.Josh Aloiai - jake to lock then use front row depth

14.Ben Trbojevic - maddo (utility forward)
15.Ethan Bullemor - waddell (transform into middle forward with speed like bully)
16.Toafofoa Sipley - lodge, brown, james, navale (enforcer off bench role)
17. Gordon Chan Kum Tong - humphries (back up hooker)
I think we are desperate for another hard running, damaging prop.

You also didn’t mention Jake Arthur and I think he may have a future as a lock.

But the prop position worries me a little. We have Paseka, Jake, Sipley, Aloiai and Lodge but the last two finished this season injured and Lodge won’t be back until late next season. I refuse to consider Woods as he adds nothing.

Wish we could pinch a young firebrand from the Panthers or Cowboys who both seem to produce endless good, aggressive forwards.

Navale would really benefit from a year in NSW Cup in 24. Will be interesting if he plays against PNG on Sunday. The Speed and physicality of the Kumals around the ruck should be a couple of levels up from the Cook Islands game. It was played at a really slow pace.

It’s really rare for an NRL side to not have a ball player at Lock these days too. He could develop into our version of a Reuben Cotter but I reckon there is years more development before he’s a real NRL option. PNG should be a good game to watch.

Last edited:
I think we are desperate for another hard running, damaging prop.

You also didn’t mention Jake Arthur and I think he may have a future as a lock.

But the prop position worries me a little. We have Paseka, Jake, Sipley, Aloiai and Lodge but the last two finished this season injured and Lodge won’t be back until late next season. I refuse to consider Woods as he adds nothing.

Wish we could pinch a young firebrand from the Panthers or Cowboys who both seem to produce endless good, aggressive forwards.
I like your thinking of Jake Arthur being used as a future lock or a 50-60 min player playing lock off the bench keeping him out of the physical burst for first 20 mins. But what swayed we away is currently at the moment our only half cover is Jake Arthur. If we want him to play lock or 14 for us in that dylan walker role he will need to gain a lot of body weight and focusing on tackling a lot at training and so on. But being our only half cover we will be needing him to play as a genuine starting half for us at times this season thus need him training as a half. Cherry will miss games over origin period and may even be rested a game or 2 more then normal due to his age and Brooks doesn't mind an odd injury. If Arthur isn't in starting 17 for Manly round 1 playing that lock forward role I don't think he will be for the season as he will be playing NSW cup at halfback running a side with a lot different roles and plans in training. But with Manly having a couple spots left in their top 30 if we could sign potentially another back up half this will allow Arthur to try out this position for us and fully commit his training regime and gym schedule towards this goal.

IMG_4163.jpeg

Realistic signings would be tass at centre if Garrick doesn't succeed with him shifting back to wing. Turuva to left wing, Taylan May to wing or centre or terrel May as starting / bench front rower or finefeuiaki for same role

Im not sure we need anymore backs given a fit backline of TT ,Saab, Koula, Garrick ,Brooks ,DCE and Tupilotu is pretty bloody handy along with BA ,the Schu if needed ,Humphries, Scorpio and the blacktown winger /center all in the wings
TBH if JWH wanted to go around again Id have a go at him (not sure how old he is and I hate when he plays for the Rorters but he always gives 100% and although a penalty magnet still has something to offer younger forwards in terms of reasonably controlled aggression and domination of your opponent ) ,also Hamuele from the Sharks(might be too much bulk for our already bulky FR) and even Saiafiti (not sure on the ages of those 2 ) ,would also love Jordan Riki
Anyways go Manly, even with Lodge fully fit I would like another top shelf FR if we could jag one , esp if Aloai moves on .

I was thinking TT, Meaney, Koala, Tass, Garrick, Brooks and DCE….

Which, let’s face it, would end up being
Meaney, Saab, Koala, Tass, Garrick, Brooks and DCE after Round 3…
haha yes maybe ,I just think we have a backline good enough ,now with Koula as the back up to TT that we can afford to strengthen other areas like FR where I think we are a bit thin given no Keppie and LOdge who although good has a question mark over him as to return date and cost ,and now talk that Aloia maybe on the move ??

haha yes maybe ,I just think we have a backline good enough ,now with Koula as the back up to TT that we can afford to strengthen other areas like FR where I think we are a bit thin given no Keppie and LOdge who although good has a question mark over him as to return date and cost ,and now talk that Aloia maybe on the move ??
I am buying two JWH’s to balance the squad 😂😂

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10