Hoppa - Merged Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Hoppa to Parra!!!

Darwin Eel said:
Congrats on the grand final by the way guys. As much as I don't like Manly; you played well and deserved the win this year.
$500k per year for Hoppa, plus what you paid for Sandow. Stunning really. I suppose you grew up following the crowd, disliking Manly because you were repeatedly told by the press that in the 70's Manly tried to "buy premierships". Should you now hate Parra for that?

What I have never got about Parra is why you don't look after your own talented juniors. Warriors got to the GF largely on the back of Parra rejects - Inu, Mateo and James Maloney. And from Manly's side, Parra sent Wolfman to park footy, only wanted to pay T-Rex about $50k, and put mild-mannered Jamie Lyon so offside that he'd rather play in Wee Waa for nothing or in England than for them. And there's Joe ... he desperately wanted to play again for Parra, and you totally shafted him too despite him being central to getting you to the GF. Manly enticed Joe out of retirement after Parra shafted him, and he's consistently been one of our best. Parra rejected their junior, Paul Gallen, reckoning he lacked talent. etc. Ever thought what would happen if you just focused on your own massive, massive junior area, and looked after your own? Premierships on a platter I would have thought.

Anyway, good luck with Hoppa. A huge chunk of your cap, but he is an undoubted talent.

bob dylan said:
This deal was done months ago. I have been saying on this forum for ages he was an eel.

The worst kept secret in the nrl.

I must add nothing has been signed yet.

Good luck to the young man and don't lose that ring because you won't be getting another one.

Kearney should not get too excited because he will never coach Hoppa. He will be sacked next season after a few rounds. He learnt to coach under the cheats and has the nrls worst roster.

You are right. Around May I believe. It was the announcement Peter Sterling was so excited about. Everyone thought it was Tonga. Also explains Jarryd Haynes twitter post saying 'See you in the blue and gold when you return' to Hop that everyone thought was a joke.

Also you are right about the Eels 2011 roster. But they were competitive (down to golden point) with most teams in the comp on that Roster. Manly only beat them within the last few minutes of their last game with their 2011 roster. So I wouldn't write Kearney off that quickly with his 2012 roster.

bob dylan said:
This deal was done months ago. I have been saying on this forum for ages he was an eel.

The worst kept secret in the nrl.

I must add nothing has been signed yet.

Good luck to the young man and don't lose that ring because you won't be getting another one.

Kearney should not get too excited because he will never coach Hoppa. He will be sacked next season after a few rounds. He learnt to coach under the cheats and has the nrls worst roster.

Don't take this the wrong way Bob, but I won't believe anything until either Hoppa, his manager, Perry or Hasler announces that he has signed a contract. If that happens, then fine. Thats part of professional sport. But these days, even a signed contract doesn't mean much, much less a verbal agreement to agree to sign one in two years time.

Mate with all due respect. I am talking current players not 15 years ago. There are a couple in your squad that deserve a fist grade position but not many.

@Jerry
That is our current Roster. 90% Juniors.

@REX
Nah I actually hate Manly cause i think Hasler is a whining baby and never gracious in defeat.

Having said that though I agreed with several of his spats this year as they regarded some of the most shocking calls I've seen in Rugby League history.

Anyway, I was only here to share what little info I had to offer. I'll leave you guys too it before I get lynched for being a Parra supporter.

Congrats again on the premiership.

Don't turn on him, he clearly loves Manly and that may see him return later in his career. It's huge money, to much to refuse. I'm sure it was a tough choice for him.

That sort of money for a rookie (no matter how good he is), plus giving John a coaching position reeks of desperation from Parramatta.

Oh and if any Parramatta fans give you ****, just remind them of Jamie Lyon holding the premiership trophy aloft :D

If In all honesty mate - your squad aren't first graders. hence where you finished.

Most have seen too many seasons or are not genuine first grade starters.

Good luck to you but I suspect it will be the same for quite some time.

You've had your gloating here now Darwin Eel. Just be careful that gloating at others' expense comes at the cost of karma. Hurt another, hurt yourself. Watch and you'll see that it's true. ;)

Rex said:
You've had your gloating here now Darwin Eel. Just be careful that gloating at others' expense comes at the cost of karma. Hurt another, hurt yourself. Watch and you'll see that it's true. ;)

:-/

There was no gloating involved. Not once have I 'gloated' about signing Hop. Read my posts again.

In reality I don't know if I'm incredibly excited by us scoring Hop to be honest. 2 years out of a game can be career ending. There is no way to know if he can bounce back to his current forum upon his return, or that he wont come back looking like a prop.

It wasn't my intention to 'hurt' anyone or their feelings, my apologies if yours were hurt.

On sports line Turvey was saying it was absolute BS.

I will wait till the club officially announces it to believe it.

They are only trying to bait you ceagle on the league unlimited forum. They mention the slime also signed Luke Vescio from our under 16's side which I believe to be BS also.

I'll suggest to you that your dislike of Hasler, and Manly, says more about you than it ever could about him, or about Manly.

And I suspect you know, deep down, that if Des was the coach of your team, doing what he does developing players into men like Hoppa, that you too would think the world of him, respect him, and not interpret his actions as "whingeing".

Rex said:
I'll suggest to you that your dislike of Hasler, and Manly, says more about you than it ever could about him, or about Manly.

And I suspect you know, deep down, that if Des was the coach of your team, doing what he does developing players into men like Hoppa, that you too would think the world of him, respect him, and not interpret his actions as "whingeing".

Actually you suggested to me that my dislike for Manly stemmed from things that happened during the 70's. You decided to have a stab at me because I said I didn't like Manly, even though in the exact same sentence; I congratulated Manly on how they played and said they deserved to win. I'm very sorry to upset you by having a personal opinion. How shameful of me!

Your pusillanimous presumptions that you know how I think; prompted me to respond and tell you exactly why I didn't like Manly. Even still; I did this in a very diplomatic and straight forward manner. If you didn't want to know why I don't like your team; then don't put words in my mouth and I wont feel I need to correct you in order defend my opinion.

I am happy for you that you like Hasler and I agree he has done great things for your club, so I can appreciate that you like him. But trying to belittle me will not effect the opinion I have of the man from an outsiders perspective. I respect him as a coach. I appreciate the fact he is passionate about his club, players and their game, but there is much to be said for being humble and gracious in defeat; even when you get bad calls, or the deck is stacked against you. If you tell me that you honestly can't see how Hasler would come off looking like a whinger to non-Manly supporters; I would say to you that you are a liar.

Regardless of all this I understand quite simply; that you are upset about losing Hoppa and me presenting myself on this forum means I was always going to end up a target for someone who wanted to 'irrationally' vent their frustrations; so I will leave you all in peace for real now.

Congrats to all the Manly fans also on keeping your coach for next year (and by proxy the Stewarts), look forward to some good games against you next year.

To you in particular Rex I will leave you with these parting words of wisdom that I hope you remember when I don't bother replying to any more of your stabs at me on this thread: Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

On that note I leave before this deteriorates any further.

See ya in 2012!

It may be true, but I don't buy it. Not yet anyway.

Hoppa has shown nothing but integrity, he made a huge decision to turn down money to do what he believes in, how does that gel with lying to everyone about his future?

If he was going to Parramatta, and it was already a done deal he would not have said he wanted to come back to manly.

He has done nothing to make me doubt his integrity, in fact he is one of the few NRL players whom I would trust at his word.

If Hoppa was only interested in his money he would never decided to go on mission in the first place. This article says nothing really, and offers zero proof, I know a lot of people have been talking this up for a while, but others have been talking up his apparent deal with the Dogs as well.

In summary, I will believe it when I see it. I for one saw Hoppa, his grandmother and choc all together after the GF, they looked like more then team-mates, they looked like family. My money would still be on him coming back here, but we will see.

Well it's not like he will be there next year if it's all true or not, 6 months time the footy will start again we will have different wingers to what we had on Sunday and we will all forget about Hoppa jnr
So ppl don't stress too much

Hoppa to Parra!!!

Darwin Eel

I must add good luck in the future, the Eels recruiting might now be headed in the right direction.

When the eels are going good it's great for league.

I enjoy reading your posts here so come back and gloat when you guys have a win.

All the best.

No big deal if it's true and not totally unexpected. The kid has to help out his family, who need all the financial help they can get, as apparently they've never heard of birth control in Tongan society.

Both the "Telegraph" and "Herald" have this up as an 'exclusive' now, although we all know the media, like other lesser beasts, eats and regurgitates its own crap. But as Berkeley Eagle says, if he's gone, he's gone.
Yes, it will be disappointing to lose one of our own, especially given the family connection, and it'll be even more disappointing considering the "I love this club and want to come back to Manly" line that's been thrown around. But you can't hold it against the bloke. Just like the Des situation, all we can do is sit back and see what happens. Don't forget we just won the grand final.

I would say its true.if you think about it,the best Manly could possibly offer him is about $300,000 and no position for his father.
Lets sayParra say to him, we'll pay you $200,000 while you are doing your missionary work and when you come to us we pay you $500,000a year and also $100,000 a year for your father on the coaching staff, the money for FH and while he is doing his missionary work does not come under the salary cap,Manly can't possibly pay this sort of money.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6