Hoppa - Merged Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Hoppa to Parra!!!

Not happy, but we can all now see why winning the GF for 2011 was so crucial an opportunity not to waste.

Obviously money has won out more than any loyalty to the club but we can all thank the NRL system for that.

Izzy went to GWS for the money and the influence of family members seems to be a big part of where many Poly boys go.

At least Hoppa is staying loyal to league and maybe one day he will come back to Manly. No one yet has ever left Manly and then gone on to better days at another club.

Get used to it guys. We will lose a few more over the next year or so after the GF win. Thats just the way it is.

Well, quite seriously, I know someone who knows someone who knows Hayne through church and apparently Hayne and Hoppa are great mates.....

So maybe this is true if my fourth hand information means anything! :D

Either way - he's away for two years, who knows where things will end up in 2014. I just want to bring on 2012 and go back to back!

I think if anyone had told us at the beginning of the year that Hoppa would play a major part in helping us win the Premiership, but then would not play for us again, I think all of us would have jumped at that. Sad that he's leaving, but can't begrudge him going for the $'s, especially if they were far more than what we were willing to give him.

[/quote]I agree,that pisses me off more when they say stuff like that,if you know your going,good luck to you but dont say stuff like that,not good for a christian saying stuff like that,especially when he is about to go on a religious mission for 2 years

[/quote]
I get what you're saying, but he's not a Christian. Mormons believe that some fella called Joseph Smith (or was it Brigham Young?) was a 'latter day saint.' It all goes from there. It's hard to take a family (or their religious faith) seriously that wouldn't go/be allowed to watch their son play in the biggest game of the year. Ridiculous set of priorities - all for some feeble-minded religious twaddle.

If true, it's disappointing considering the opportunities Manly gave to his father, especially after his digital insertion stunts with Wests Tigers, when no one else would touch him with a barge pole.

Can you imagine his dad on the 'coaching staff?' Maybe he'll be the Digital Enhancement Technician (pun intended), putting that enormous brain of his to good use in 'pointing the finger' at opposition team flaws to a gently nodding Stephen Kearney: 'Yes, thanks John, well spotted, the other team do wear a different coloured jersey to ours!'

Considering his manager is Tyrone Smith, someone whose playing career would suggest he doesn't know the importance of staying at one club I'm not surprised they've decided to go to the highest bidder. Offering his old man a job too would have played a part. Before agreeing he should speak to guys like Cuthbo, JWH etc about how much they enjoyed the extra dollars instead of staying at Brookie. Cuthbo was saved by Wayne Bennet from the Sharks scrapheap and there has been next to no improvement in JWH game and from what I've heard he can't wait to get out of the joint.

Very disappointed.

Phantar, Hoppa Snr's 'moral debts', are not those of his children.
Will is a grown man. Young but grown. The worst he can be accused of is having told porkies ....but there's no way he should accept less money on the basis that the club was good to his father. I mean, I'm as disappointed as anyone here but I can't knock someone for setting up their family's future.

Merdy33 said:
Let's analyze the article:

"Hopefully they give me a training schedule to keep me in shape and I will stay in touch and let them know how I am going." -who is "they"? Manly or Parramatta? The article makes no mention of who "they" is

They is MANLY.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/hoppa-to-keep-training-140816

The DT article is journalism at the usual News Ltd standard, and everyone else is on the bandwagon now for fear of missing out on the "exclusive".

The story originated at the DT not Sky. I heard them break it on Sky and they started with "the Daily Telegraph is reporting that...".

I give the story a 40% chance of being true.

As for being "the worst kept secret in RL", I though the worst kept secrets were:

1. Ricky Stuart to coach the Bulldogs in 2012

2. Des Hasler to coach the Bulldogs in 2012.

Those who believe everything they read must be wondering how Ricky and Des will go as co-coaches next year...

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Anyone else thinking Hoppa snr coaching ? What would he bring for a team

Hoppa snr would be good for putting out the witches hats at training.

Wil has suspect hamstrings and 2 years out of the game he must be a big concern as to how his hammys will go in 2014.

He will do a lot of walking the pavement in the next 2 years and have many doors slammed in his face. He will do a lot of growing up in the next 2 years and no doubt regret his decsion not to come back to play for Manly. He has been badly advised by a pair of ironstines

We need to keep dessie as players come and go but top line coaches can make more players to replace the ones that leave

The doors will be a good work out for his palm....

good luck to the kid if he goes.
whoever has him be it us or elsewhere would be laying out a minimum salary for the next two years for nothing other than a guaranteed return in a couple of years. personally id rather see that go to upgrade a current kid actually playing, or nursing a potential junior through the ranks.
he will most likely come back and again be a star, but its a risk i think i'd be willing to let go if it came to be an excessive expense on the club and leaves less to spend on people actually playing.

unlike other clubs we have a great across the park team, we don't seem to have the room or the want for a few superstars on huge dollars, we're stars across the park who all put in and don't rely on a big 3 or 4.

on another note, if he has agreed with eels.. Hayne to GWS for big dollars? hasnt hoppa always wanted the #1 as first choice?, if eels have dollars to spend and im sure hoppa wants a permanant fullback role preferred, probably a key factor in any big deal?

amongst one of those articles i was very happy to read Joe is about to re-sign for another two years, im sure on an upgraded deal he has very much earned.

Garts said:
Get used to it guys. We will lose a few more over the next year or so after the GF win. Thats just the way it is.

Exactly, the salary cap means we will lose players aFter a gf win. Keeping DCE and foran should be our biggest priority.

torana355 said:
Garts said:

Exactly, the salary cap means we will lose players aFter a gf win. Keeping DCE and foran should be our biggest priority.

No doubt about that. Keep DCE and Foran and we'll be sweet.

I'd be sorry to see Hoppa go, but for $500k a year Parra can have him.

The papers allege that part of the package is a job for John Hopoate with the club. What as? A bouncer on half a mill? Surely this is something Schubert would have to investigate.

Matabele said:
The papers allege that part of the package is a job for John Hopoate with the club. What as? A bouncer on half a mill? Surely this is something Schubert would have to head of security at parra stadium

lsz said:
The doors will be a good work out for his palm....

Seeing as he's doing his mission up this way I might get him knocking on my door. I'll invite him in and let him know just how befuddled he is on both a religious front and for going to Parra. I'm not sure which cult is worse.

Dessy said:
Yep they have signed Vescio as well. Played in our 20's this year, Australian schoolboys hooker. They also signed Joey Lussick earlier in the season who was the captain and halfback of our Harold Matts.
OneEyedEagle said:
They mention the slime also signed Luke Vescio from our under 16's side which I believe to be BS also.

It looks like this story has credibility. I just had the Luke Vescio going to the slime confirmed

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2