Hoppa - Merged Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Hoppa to Parra!!!

swoop said:
If it means we keep DCE, Foran on extended contracts and re-sign Buhrer, T-rex, Rose and co and Dessie aswell I'd be happy.

Swoop, my thoughts exactly. Save the dosh for Dessie, chances are he & Crusher will keep the production line rolling along.
Locking up DCE, Foran, Lussick etc along with life contracts for the Stewarts brothers & Choc should keep things on track.
500K for a utility back ( albeit a very good one that will be out of the game for two years ) is overs, just ask the Bunnies.

I think the club would love to keep him and I think he would love to stay, but if Parra are really offering $500K a season it is the biggest overpayment since Orford signed with the Raiders.

I think Hoppa Jr would take less to play for Manly, but not that much less and we would be mad to offer him that sort of coin, so good luck to him if he goes.

Just how many games did Hoppa Junior play for us this season? Injury prone? (as is Tonga) Hoppa has suspect hammies and the two years out. Hmmmm. To much to pay for an outside back. On current rates, $250K max. In two years, with inflation taken into account, maybe $300K. I'd like him to stay but there's always some kid wanting to come through and be the next star, and we'll find more Hoppas. Parramatta can't win anything without first clearing out their forward pack. They are either ordinary and/or old. That's where they should concentrate their efforts. Backs can't go forward without the platform laid. But good to see John get a real job, groundsman perhaps (and I'm not being disrespectful).

At least he's not going to the Bullwogs, thats some consolation,we've had a good run with Parra players, but very few have left Manly and succeeded at Parra, eg Aaron Cannings,Darrell William,Ian Gately,Jeremy Ticehurst

as an aside you would think that parra have enough talent within? Looking at the recent teams which have won the comp (storm included) there have not been a heap of big money purchases - rather a team stacked with some talented kids, experienced cast offs and some stars

when as the last time us, saints or the storm bought a marquee player? Maybe boyd for saints??? last one for us must have been Lyon???

swoop said:
If it means we keep DCE, Foran on extended contracts and re-sign Buhrer, T-rex, Rose and co and Dessie aswell I'd be happy.

Exactly we can't keep them all and I don't see how we can match the Parra offer. I thought he might replace Lyon when he finishes up. We've still got a very good squad and we've just won the premiership so I'm pretty happy with how things are going. I just hope Des sticks around.

DSM5 said:
Just how many games did Hoppa Junior play for us this season? Injury prone? (as is Tonga) Hoppa has suspect hammies and the two years out. Hmmmm. To much to pay for an outside back. On current rates, $250K max. In two years, with inflation taken into account, maybe $300K. I'd like him to stay but there's always some kid wanting to come through and be the next star, and we'll find more Hoppas. Parramatta can't win anything without first clearing out their forward pack. They are either ordinary and/or old. That's where they should concentrate their efforts. Backs can't go forward without the platform laid. But good to see John get a real job, groundsman perhaps (and I'm not being disrespectful).
yea,and Hoppa senior on the coaching staff,the Parra fans will love that,they,ll be able throw things at him every home game

Losing Hoppa is a loss, but I don't see why Parra are paying 500k for a winger/centre?
As long as Des, Foz and Cherry stays our success will continue, as we saw this year we can replace players at will, even those with the talents of Hoppa.

Possible scenario if Hoppa goes:

Robbo has signed for only one season with Harlequins. As he has demonstrated all year, he still has what it takes. maybe he will be back come 2013 for say another two years as an 'insurance policy?'

Wow Parra Fans get excited easily, they think they will have the best backline in the comp in 2014. The one thing they are saying that makes sense is that the cap will be close to 7 million in 2014, surely we could have squeezed Hoppa in there?

Funny part is that Stephen Kearney played a big part in the alleged signing , yet, with Parra's coaching history , he is likely to be sacked long before 2014 and won't be there still anyway.

bones said:
Funny part is that Stephen Kearney played a big part in the alleged signing , yet, with Parra's coaching history , he is likely to be sacked long before 2014 and won't be there still anyway.

I wonder if he will have a get out clause?

torana355 said:
Wow Parra Fans get excited easily, they think they will have the best backline in the comp in 2014. The one thing they are saying that makes sense is that the cap will be close to 7 million in 2014, surely we could have squeezed Hoppa in there?

It's not whether we would be able to fit him in the cap or not we need that money 1st, from what I recall we still ran at a loss this year

Need to sell the 2 home games to the highest bidder, have more weather friendly packed home games etc

In the age of salary cap no player is worth 500 000 all it takes is one injury and yr teaam is sc...d. Depth is more important. Although i must admit hoppa is a future legend why didnt we offer a 5 yr contract earlier.

If anyone is upset about Hoppa going, just watch Manu V's try and ask yourself - 'who is Hoppa covering?'. We had an overlap of defenders but Hoppa got himself stuck in no-mans land and let a try in that could have cost the grand final...

(To be honest I'll be just as annoyed as anyone else if he plays for the Eels, but just trying to soften the blow.....)

Robbo, down on a speed a little, but up on all round ability. His catching of the high ball is something else. Just terrific, as is his positional play. I'd suggest he played his best football this season (08GF aside). I'd see him back in a year if it meant we didn't squeeze out a youngster.

It will be interesting to see what Des and Crusher have in the making... I'm gutted like everyone else but have enough trust in Des and Crusher to unearth some new exciting talent to replace Hoppa at a fraction of the slimes $500k offer.

Just hope Hoppa won't be led astray by Hayne coming out of night clubs late at night and being shot at. Hoppa Snr could work as security.

I would be more disappointed if I heard we signed him for $500,000. There are far more important players in our squad that we should worry about re-signing.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6