Pre-Game Manly v Sharks [Round 11, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

14 20
4 Pines Park
14 May 2023 04:05 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naming the same squad after the performance last week really has me questioning Siebold’s judgement.
Wasn't it Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome? I know Seibold is a thinker and student of matters outside of football but I think he's got his wires crossed and must be expecting people to think he's some sort of Einsteinian genius. He's just half read the quote and thought doing the same thing is the way forward. It could also be that he's suffering from the same issues Des has with blooding new players or that there genuinely isn't enough quality to bring in. I'm sure most of us would prefer to see the young blokes having a go and getting some experience with the promise of better times around the corner

This should be a quite winnable game but I look at our team (as so far revealed - I pin my hopes on changes) and just shake my head. My biggest concern is that with Schu apparently out and Tom struggling to find any form then we have little to offer in attack - only Cherry to try and create something - so it should be fairly easy for them to force him to do a mountain of defence and cluster up on him when he has the ball. Then our bench is four honest workers but, again, no point of difference or spark for the attack. I'd like to see Weekes on the bench at least, to give the Sharks something to think about. Maybe our boys will surprise me yet.

I agree with your earlier points, but not the last point. Our only chance of matching Cronulla's backs is the hope that Turbo and The Shoe regain form, imo.
Hope springs eternal. Johns springs leaks.
I’d rather have Schu on one leg and 15kg overweight than Johns. At least he might still be able to create something with his ball skills. Johns has nothing.

I’d rather have Schu on one leg and 15kg overweight than Johns. At least he might still be able to create something with his ball skills. Johns has nothing.
Schu has mostly been a let down but yeah he might have some sort of effect in a game at times…Johns…WTF is Johns

Would assume schu may come in if fit later in the week. Perhaps they have been given one last chance to redeem themselves. Another repeat of last week and heads will roll.
Schu could be pretty close to playing now, Seib's would be giving him till Sunday morn to make a call on weather he plays or not. You would think with the 9day turnaround this should benefit Shuster's availability.

Unless we sort our defence at traing this week it going to be a tough afternoon on Sunday.
When is it ever not a tough afternoon in NRL?
Sure some games end up as blow-outs but every team can rise on any given day.
As the ladder shows, there's very little separating a lot of teams right now. Like about 10 teams within 2 points of each other!

Last edited:
When is it ever not a tough afternoon in NRL?
Sure some games end up as become blow-outs but every team can rise on any given day.
As the ladder shows, there's very little separating a lot of teams right now. Like about 10 teams within 2 points of each other!
Exactly! This could be just as tough game for the sharks or us. Dolphins put the Sharks to the sword last week, just like we were hammered by the Broncs. Hope we come out on top this week.

Such a beautiful boy. So sad that Barrett ousted him from Manly. He'll play a blinder on Sunday.

Nicko was in that same junior grouping also including Turbo , Ramien , Liam Knight and even luke Garner i think around 2015 . Just before Barret 's time and on the bench [ Niko ] at the time in the 20 's , looked a promising junior but just was not able to go on with it then for whatever reason in the Manly system . Barrett was responsible for a few other negatives at Manly but not that one .

Do feel a bit despondent with the same side named . 2nd half was better against the Broncs but so many things to still try and fix , Surely can offer more then some of the lack luster attacking shapes for a good part of this season even Shu less More hopeful that Alioia can lift his game but much less so with Johns . Should not just have to mainly depend on Turbo clicking into gear but not much being offered else where apart from Haumole and so much more exasperated when Turbo is off . Seem to be able to aim up in patches and when they can control possession a bit but so much off the pace in recent games . Hopefully something can turn it around this week , season starting to slip away despite just being out of the 8 presently .

Nicko was in that same junior grouping also including Turbo , Ramien , Liam Knight and even luke Garner i think around 2015 . Just before Barret 's time and on the bench [ Niko ] at the time in the 20 's , looked a promising junior but just was not able to go on with it then for whatever reason in the Manly system . Barrett was responsible for a few other negatives at Manly but not that one .
Having seen the Matty Johns interview with Nicho, yes he played in the Manly 20's in 2015. Then he did the preseason in NSW Cup/NRL and was told there was a two year contract waiting for him at the end of the preseason. Barrett arrived in 2016, he continued in the 20's and got injured and "they forgot about me I guess". He saw other players in the 20's (eg Ramien) getting signed to the NRL but not him, and left at the back end of 2016 and moved to Mackay to play in Qld Cup.

From that interview, me thinks Barrett contributed to Nicho's departure by overlooking him, sadly. Oh what could have been....

Still believe this years team will surprise a lot of people come September .They have what it takes as we have seen them display in some games but as I alluded to from the beginning , our simple errors and injuries will be our major hurdles .We handed the Broncos the win last week committing too many simple errors .A new week and the boys should learn from their errors and win against the Sharks .Let's go Manly .

Exactly! This could be just as tough game for the sharks or us. Dolphins put the Sharks to the sword last week, just like we were hammered by the Broncs. Hope we come out on top this week.
And there you have it, the NRL this season is a close comp these days. Tend to think the rule changes ie; 6 again's, faint brush's over the face are ruled as high tackles, crusher and hip-drop tackles are at the refs interpretation, some give penalties others don't. Doesn't take much to get on to a wave of possession and surf it in todays modern NRL, that's why we're seeing more blow out scores as the season progresses. On Sunday I'm prepared for any score line as long as we come out on the plus side tho. Come on Manly...

Do feel a bit despondent with the same side named . 2nd half was better against the Broncs but so many things to still try and fix , Surely can offer more then some of the lack luster attacking shapes for a good part of this season even Shu less More hopeful that Alioia can lift his game but much less so with Johns . Should not just have to mainly depend on Turbo clicking into gear but not much being offered else where apart from Haumole and so much more exasperated when Turbo is off . Seem to be able to aim up in patches and when they can control possession a bit but so much off the pace in recent games . Hopefully something can turn it around this week , season starting to slip away despite just being out of the 8 presently .
We really haven't got to many holding their hands up saying pick me. Weeks and Tui have struggled when called up. Just leaves Vegas and Samuella as decent fill ins atm. I'm prepared to give last weeks team a 2nd, well, in this case a 3rd chance and hope to see a reaction from the team this Sunday arvo..

Still believe this years team will surprise a lot of people come September .They have what it takes as we have seen them display in some games but as I alluded to from the beginning , our simple errors and injuries will be our major hurdles .We handed the Broncos the win last week committing too many simple errors .A new week and the boys should learn from their errors and win against the Sharks .Let's go Manly .
I want to be positive but I keep hearing they're going to learn from their mistakes after every sad and sorry performance. Either someone's not turning up to class or a few need to be kept behind on detention. Time to start passing some tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8