Other Games [Round 19, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
"Although the referee had blown his whistle to stop the game after the last tackle was completed as time had expired, he had not yet called fulltime," a spokesman said.

What utter BS and rank dishonesty. Why did he blow his whistle? Not for a knock-on, not for a penalty. He blew his whistle because it was fulltime and when the Tiger player was tackled the game was over!!

Worst decision I can ever recall. And that's from a very big field!
Apparently after the siren, whistle and play stoppage, the ref still has to yell out.

STARTING FROM ……………………………………………now

KPI.# 143 653 432

I dont like refs but we should support them
if the public backed the refs they would probably be more understanding.
the game puts the ref squarely in the crosshairs and bails on responsibility even though history just repeats. The rule changes, interps, the media, the brodcasters alli interfere with the game weekly but just look to blame everyone else

imagine the conspiracy theories refs have, and fans and refs are collectively the real victims . Get em onside i say

manlyfans should start a referee support group LOL . For most it would be a tough gig . It really is the rock and hard place with both sides sweating on your demise. The enemy of your enemy kind of thing

Who cares. it's the Tigers. I'm not for crying over that crap team. I doubt any poster on their blog gave a care over Cummings robbing us of a win over the Slime.

Who cares. it's the Tigers. I'm not for crying over that crap team. I doubt any poster on their blog gave a care over Cummings robbing us of a win over the Slime.
It's not theTigers I'm upset about it's the leg-up for the Cows, who are a rival for finals spots. I want to see all teams above us lose, of course.

I don't want to bother anyone here who likes the odd punt or puts a few bucks in the pokies. However this sort of crap stinks of bookies and money changing hands. Vlandys runs racing, he runs rugby league. I am not suggesting illegality at all, simply overreach.

His influence stretches further than I can imagine. The other day Bolts Hadley was blowing up about a Bruno Mars concert at the SFS on the same day as The Everest at Royal Randwick.

Why does it matter? Because Vlandys doesn't like it and thinks it will affect the Everest meeting. I'm about 5 decades beyond being concerned about Bruno Mars but for goodness sake why should Vlandys worry?

He wants to keep his clients happy. I don't blame him for that. But the fans aren't happy. Our games are solely for TV now. If we had an Eels or Roosters game on a sunny Saturday or Sunday afternoon we would pack the place out. But we get Thursday night and Friday 6pm matches. Get stuffed NRL, you've lost what little plot you had. Money ruins everything. The love of sport is lost.

A few weeks ago they had the Golden Eagles parade. As I saw some of the old legends, Billy Hamilton, John Bucknall, Terry Randall, Ray Branighan and Alan Thompson do the walk along with many others, I thought: "What do these blokes make of Rugby league today?"

Is it a better game? Cleaner, yes, but better overall? I doubt it.

But not to worry. We will have rainbow hoops on Thursday night so we can all feel very virtuos and inclusive.

And you wonder why the nrl is losing fans here is a perfect example.

It's not the same game I grew up with and loved
Why is it always the close games are the ones with the most controversy, in regards to the way ref's conduct the game. It's like the ref's get swept up in the moment, with the home fans baying for a penalty, and you just know that a team that doesn't deserve to lose gets dudded again with a howler of a decision in the last 5 min. And the fans scratch their heads and say the game's changed so much to what it used to be.

Why is it always the close games are the ones with the most controversy, in regards to the way ref's conduct the game. It's like the ref's get swept up in the moment, with the home fans baying for a penalty, and you just know that a team that doesn't deserve to lose gets dudded again with a howler of a decision in the last 5 min. And the fans scratch their heads and say the game's changed so much to what it used to be.
That's exactly what happened to us in round 11 against Doesn'tmatta.
Why will the NRL allow coaches, players, officials and betting agencies to be interviewed by the media but not referees? A ref is, after all, the most influential person in every RL match. If anyone knows why a team won or lost it is the ref.

That's exactly what happened to us in round 11 against Doesn'tmatta.
Why will the NRL allow coaches, players, officials and betting agencies to be interviewed by the media but not referees? A ref is, after all, the most influential person in every RL match. If anyone knows why a team won or lost it is the ref.
Yeah, the Parra game sticks out big time, even opposition fans came out and said the same thing. No way would the NRL allow refs to be cross examined by jurno's, talk about putting them under the spotlight. Think it would make the fans more irate to see a ref like Cummins trying to explain why he made a certain decision, it would only make them look more foolish than what they are already are.

Below is the statement from the NRL in today's SMH:

An NRL spokesperson argued otherwise. “The captain’s challenge was permissible in these circumstances. The captain can challenge decisions by the referee to stop the play,” the spokesperson said.

“Although the referee had blown his whistle to stop the game after the last tackle was completed as time had expired, he had not yet called full-time.

“The whole concept of the captain’s challenge is to make sure any decision by the referee that stops the game can be reviewed. To not do so would effectively deny a team the right to have an officiating error corrected on the last play of a game just because time had expired.

“There are multiple examples of games continuing after time has expired following an infringement. These include incidences of foul play or other penalisable rule breaches. The obstruction decision itself will be reviewed as a matter of course on Monday.”

Talk about covering your a$$, what a joke.

Below is the statement from the NRL in today's SMH:

An NRL spokesperson argued otherwise. “The captain’s challenge was permissible in these circumstances. The captain can challenge decisions by the referee to stop the play,” the spokesperson said.
The stuff up by the officials was horrendous, the defence of it by NRL is shameful.

No surprise that "NRL spokesperson" prefers to remain anonymous, because isn't this* the rule that was pubished about Captains Challenge? (nothing about any decision of a ref 'to stop the play')

2. A challenge is only permissible in instances where the referee makes a decision that results in the match recommencing with a structured restart

Obviously blowing fulltime does not result in a restart

*NRL laws and Interpretations 2020

They're trotting out the weekly wrap by by Annesley quite quickly this week.

My guess is so that he can say "ah well, we haven't had time to properly process everything before this wrap up so I can't say much. also we hear the tigers are going to look into some re-courses so I can't say anything until that's done.

guess we'll see soon!

From another forum - might only be hearsay & can't be confirmed

"Can't say but I have been told by someone who referees in one of country group stages that NRL referees are encouraged to make decisions which maximise the entertainment of the game. For example the try was scored with 78.32 on the clock. The kicker is allowed 90 seconds to take the shot for goal. The kick off should never have taken place as the Douhei let the clock wind down to 0.00 before taking the kick. The timekeeper wound it back to 0.01 seconds which should never have happened."

"No doubt this was instructed to give the Cowboys one last shot, in the hope of a grandstand finish. So whilst I couldn't say referees are instructed to ensure a team wins, despite many games appearing that way. Games are definitely ruled on in a way to ensure close finishes."

From another forum - might only be hearsay & can't be confirmed

"Can't say but I have been told by someone who referees in one of country group stages that NRL referees are encouraged to make decisions which maximise the entertainment of the game. For example the try was scored with 78.32 on the clock. The kicker is allowed 90 seconds to take the shot for goal. The kick off should never have taken place as the Douhei let the clock wind down to 0.00 before taking the kick. The timekeeper wound it back to 0.01 seconds which should never have happened."

"No doubt this was instructed to give the Cowboys one last shot, in the hope of a grandstand finish. So whilst I couldn't say referees are instructed to ensure a team wins, despite many games appearing that way. Games are definitely ruled on in a way to ensure close finishes."
Not surprised, if true.

The game thrives on gambling and it’s run by a dickhead from another ‘sport’ (one where other sentient creatures are treated abominably), which has its own murky history surrounding gambling, who in turn cannot even pronounce the name of the football code he presides over properly.

Another aspect to the Tigers-Cowboys stuff-up has just been pointed out over at League Unlim. Holmes should have been penalised for the final kick off as he ran into an offside position before kicking the ball. The rule is 6(a) below.

If you watch the final kick off, he runs over the half way line, then takes 2 or 3 steps on the "wrong" side of the line to approach the ball for the kick. It's blatant. Penalty to Tigers.

Klein supposedly reviewed the kick off and cleared everyone as onside.

FYeSLhoVQAE7CrQ.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be great to have a footy show after the last game each round to analyse and discuss the weekend's games. Get a cross-section of intelligent players, coaches (coaching staff) and/or commentators to break it all down in a non-inflammatory hard-nosed objective way. It could be great for processing controversies and helping to alleviate some of the angst many fans feel around these events.

... and what do we get... the Matty Johns Bonehead Show, rehashing the same formulaic jokes and appealing to the lowest common denominator. No wonder the NRL run roughshod over the fanbase when that is the voice that represents the average fan.

Referees are obviously in the employ of the NRL. They are affected by home crowds.

Years ago in 2009 iirc we were playing the Storm possibly in Melbourne. Michael Bani or Robbo was on the wing and made a break down the sideline and cut in. Two Melbourne defenders grabbed him, lifted him and carried him over the sideline. Touchy's flag went up, scrum to the Storm. Storm players high fiving, commentators praising the brilliance of defence etc.

No one made any comment or protest that the winger was being carried by a player who had an armlock around his neck. An obvious penalty, report or even sin binning. In plain sight. The can't even adjudicate obvious mistakes. What hope have they got for tough decisions?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8