Post-Game Discussion Penrith v Manly [Round 1, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Panthers
Vs
Sea Eagles
28 BlueBet Stadium
10 Mar 2022 20:05
80th minute

Match Stats

Not so fast. 1st game of the year. Penwiff got the rub of the green a lot. They outplayed us. Love Koula, but didn’t see Harper do much wrong. His time will come.
Funny, just as you responded i’d been editing my comment to make it clearer that im not too shaken from the result. I view that as a very short-term issue.

I listed a few things that have (at least to me) been evident for quite a long period. Particularly the redundant role of Jake in the modern game. I fully expect us to be fine, but to get to that next level we have to adapt aspects of our game (or alternatively, we can choose to risk it, wait and see like last year; which worked to a degree).

Funny, just as you responded i’d been editing my comment to make it clearer that im not panicking from the result.

I listed a few things that have been evident for quite a long period. I fully expect us to be fine, but to get to that next level we have to adapt aspects of our game
She’ll be right mate. They were great and every ball they dropped went backwards. I actually thought a lot of your points were good.

It’s only rd 1, and im actually not very bothered by it as we typically start like this.

The result is short term, but our long-term problems to solve are;
If we typically start the season with a loss, Isn't that a long term problem??????????????

Manly were flat tonight & Penrith were as sharp as a tack.

We played poorly without confidence. For example, not once did we try an early shift to get out of our end. I think many teams, including those outside last year's top eight, would have beaten us tonight.

Two positives: most will write us off for the year, saying there is no way we can win the comp and Bullemor - no current forward except our regular 14 (Walker) could have scored that try. Hopefully, he'll score a stack of tries this year.

By the end of the season, Marty may not be in the top seventeen, replaced by a younger front rower with more aggression & go forward.

I assume Des didn't bring Koula on tonight as the game was a lost cause early in the second half. No point in the young man getting bashed unnecessarily. Des obviously likes him, so he may start in the thirteen sooner rather than later.

What happened in the finals last year and what happened tonight has little bearing on what happens in September.

Sure we have plenty of work to do and areas that need improving but we are a young team and will continue to develop.

Penrith were too good tonight but no time to panic
I’m with you Disco. Round 1. Put the razor blades away. In saying that, if Segeyaro can get his shiit together, there maybe hope at dummy-half .

Yep no where near the top 2-3 sides and won’t be this year.

4th or 5th possibly , and out in straight sets again.

Exactly the same issues as previous years , a fair dinkum hooker is the biggest one.
1646912608015.gif

People on here do know that it is only round 1 ?
I watched tonight almost expecting to lose as we never win a round 1 game these days . Plus we are playing the best team in the comp . Even without Nathan Cleary they are better than most teams . Also they have now won 19 in a row at home .
Yes I agree that we didn’t play too great but we can and will get better . Yes the ref was average at best but he also didn’t drop the ball and miss 25 tackles in the first half alone . Last but not least if the roles were reversed and if Manly had been disallowed the two tries (at least the first one) like Penrith did then the Silvertails forum would have had a full on meltdown .
Keep the faith everyone
Manly Sea Eagles forever 👍

People on here do know that it is only round 1 ?
I watched tonight almost expecting to lose as we never win a round 1 game these days . Plus we are playing the best team in the comp . Even without Nathan Cleary they are better than most teams . Also they have now won 19 in a row at home .
Yes I agree that we didn’t play too great but we can and will get better . Yes the ref was average at best but he also didn’t drop the ball and miss 25 tackles in the first half alone . Last but not least if the roles were reversed and if Manly had been disallowed the two tries (at least the first one) like Penrith did then the Silvertails forum would have had a full on meltdown .
Keep the faith everyone
Manly Sea Eagles forever 👍
i’m sick to death of people saying “it’s only rd 1”

these same issues have been issues for years and years and they are not being addressed!

Sure its not great but it could be so much worse.

I'm sure I'm in a minority here but tonight has been ok given the possession and who we are playing.

Last year we would have lost this by 40 + against this side.

Another try just scored by the panthers not great but we will learn and grow.
Pretty much my sentiments also EOL, It's doom and gloom already and it's only Rd 1. Up against the Premiers, ton of possession against us, this seems to be always the case when up against the top 3. This is our stumbling block, but we'll work on it, Roosters wont be as physical as the riff, but will be a good challenge non the less.

She’ll be right mate. They were great and every ball they dropped went backwards. I actually thought a lot of your points were good.
Penrith gave us the framework. Great teams are patient and cold-hearted; they want to torture the other team at any opportunity; even when tackled, they fight to their feet, scramble, move off the mark and make it as difficult as possible for the opponent

I would like to see us take on a cold-hearted mentality, hopefully matches like these brutalise our players rather than unnerve them.

I watched tonight almost expecting to lose as we never win a round 1 game these days .
Well I watched tonight, expecting a tough, fit, confident Manly side to play and Boy you weren't disappointed Chris, they were awful. I don't think I ask to much to expect professional, highly paid, players to come out firing on all 8 cylinders after a 5 month break from the grind.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8