PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Rabbits [Round 2, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If Des sticks to the same players , He could change it up
Here goes ........
Taupau and Davey to 2nd row bench gowelski and siroen
Paseka starts with Aloiai
Parker to fullback Walker back to centre

i'm not sure whether to give you a thumbs up or thumbs down for that one Ryan... happy for you but it just makes me sad really that we have become THAT side....

Sorry mate, should have kept that to myself. The results are really hurting me atm. I was looking forward to an enjoyable, competitive season (for my own headspace more than anything, and so I can isolate, and watch on my own), but alas.

Just be like committing Hurri Curri

How's this from left field guys (the shake-up) team. Don't forget, the dropping of marquee players at The Panthers is what changed their culture around (Nathan Cleary dropped):

01. Morgan Harper
02. Jason Saab
03. Ben Trbojevic
04. Dylan Walker
05. Christian Tuipulotu
06. Josh Schuster
07. Kieran Foran
08. Josh Aloiai
09. Cade Cust
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Andrew Davey
12. Haumole Olakau'atu
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Jack Gosi
15. Marty Taupau
16. Sean Keppie
17. Curtis Sironen

Show these players they aren't untouchable regardless of their pay packet, and it demands, effort , form , energy and passion.
Good backline choices even if Ben Trbo isn’t ready we should throw him a chance (why not). Imo double drop Jetski (reserves). Bring Saddler in. Olakautau is injured sadly but 100% Davey should start. Maybe Taupau second-row again as he is a constant hard worker but is nowhere near as impactful as he was in the past. Good to keep him for 80 minutes by conserving energy. Could use his power game in defence to help our weak, stale edges.

I’ve gone cold on Keppie, would prefer Sipley to get another chance (he would be desperate).

I may be clueless, but this is the best forward pack I think we can assemble based off current form of certain players. I’d be so happy if this happened.

Halves/Forwards/Bench
6. Josh Schuster/dce
7. Keiran Foran
8. Jake Trbojevic
9. Daly Cherry-Evans/Croker/Cust
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Martin Taupau
12. Andrew Davey
13. Zac Saddler
14. Cade Cust
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Curtis Sironen
17. Toafofoa Sipley
* btw this is if we went the drop/demote dce route. Otherwise Schuster to centre or 14, dce and foz halves. We’d probably benefit from moving dce to 9 anyways but that is another thread for another day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Des said in the presser when asked about changes next week Des replied with not yet
Don’t know he can pick Garrick for next week after a few good player performances for Blacktown today
Same with Cust. Cust after the game today said that Des told him he has to improve his defence for 1st grade . But Croker offered nothing yesterday other than a few good tackles that didn’t change the game
A few changes might change the team to be more competitive but needs a bit more than that
Based on last weeks effort Garrick should be replaced by Funa, Parker by Walker, Harper to FB, Cust replaces Croker, Davey replaces Gosiewski, Schuster to bench with Toff added. The rest get a reprieve for now.
*Harper
Saab
Suli
Walker
Funa
Foz
DCE
Marty
*Cust
Aloiai
Davey
Siro
Jake
Res: *Schuster, Paseka, Keppie, *Sipley
DCE GK with Walker backup....
Wish DCE would kick higher bombs, maybe surprise with more 40/20 attempts.

Last edited:
My YART...

1.Harper
2.Funa
3.Walker
4.Suli
5. Saab
6.Foran
7. DCE
8. Aloai
9. Cust
10. Tapau
11.Davey
12. Sirro
13. Jake

14.Schuster
15. Parker
16.Paseka
17.Sipley

My reasoning:
Harper seems stronger reading positional play than Walker, and Walker's speed will help on the left edge. Garrick's confidence looks shot; Funa seems steady and is also a goal-kicker. Foran needs more time to settle in, he and DCE surely can't defend that badly again. Gojetski is probably injured, and Davey offers a big aggressive body on the left with mobility.

Schuster on the bench: can cover backs and forwards, offers dynamite as an impact player who doesn't have to direct the game. This will give him time to get used to first grade as well.
Parker on the bench - can cover backs (obviously) if we get the usual injury, but big enough to fill in as a second rower for a stint if needed (if he can stop ducking into tackles and getting hit in the head as a result).
Paseka - is getting there, more consistency and he could be a starter.
Sipley - had impact in bursts for BWSE on Sunday, worth a look to see if he can replicate it in firsts.

I'm hoping for a lot more go forward from a Sipley / Paseka combo in the 2nd 20 minutes and 3rd 20 minutes - points in our games where we seem to be backpedaling.

I know it changes our left edge greatly, but better now than later. A lot depends on how Funa goes at left wing - I don't know if he has spent much time there. Harper took the odd bomb very well playing at center (!) for BWSE on Sunday, he's probably our best option at fullback.

• Cust should start
  • Harper to Fullback (or Funa, but I can't stand his play)
  • Walker back to centre (Parker back to NSW Cup)
  • Davey should replace Gosi in the backrow
  • Paseka should replace one of Taupau or Aloiai starting
  • Boyle should not see first grade again - Keppie in
  • Reuben Garrick needs to go - anywhere, Tuipulotu should get a start
  • Croker needs more Blacktown practice

01. Morgan Harper
02. Jason Saab
03. Moses Suli
04. Dylan Walker
05. Christian Tuipulotu (or plod number 2 Funa)
06. Josh Schuster
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Marty Taupau
09. Cade Cust
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Andrew Davey
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Kieran Foran
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Sean Keppie
17. Toafofoa Sipley

* Swap Foz and Schuster if you want.
3 props on the bench? Id like to see Davey starting but i doubt it will happen so soon. Over siro not jetski as well. Foran should start and Schuster should come on with 30 to go

My YART...

1.Harper
2.Funa
3.Walker
4.Suli
5. Saab
6.Foran
7. DCE
8. Aloai
9. Cust
10. Tapau
11.Davey
12. Sirro
13. Jake

14.Schuster
15. Parker
16.Paseka
17.Sipley

My reasoning:
Harper seems stronger reading positional play than Walker, and Walker's speed will help on the left edge. Garrick's confidence looks shot; Funa seems steady and is also a goal-kicker. Foran needs more time to settle in, he and DCE surely can't defend that badly again. Gojetski is probably injured, and Davey offers a big aggressive body on the left with mobility.

Schuster on the bench: can cover backs and forwards, offers dynamite as an impact player who doesn't have to direct the game. This will give him time to get used to first grade as well.
Parker on the bench - can cover backs (obviously) if we get the usual injury, but big enough to fill in as a second rower for a stint if needed (if he can stop ducking into tackles and getting hit in the head as a result).
Paseka - is getting there, more consistency and he could be a starter.
Sipley - had impact in bursts for BWSE on Sunday, worth a look to see if he can replicate it in firsts.

I'm hoping for a lot more go forward from a Sipley / Paseka combo in the 2nd 20 minutes and 3rd 20 minutes - points in our games where we seem to be backpedaling.

I know it changes our left edge greatly, but better now than later. A lot depends on how Funa goes at left wing - I don't know if he has spent much time there. Harper took the odd bomb very well playing at center (!) for BWSE on Sunday, he's probably our best option at fullback.
That’s as close as I’ve seen to my ideal team. Keppie for Parker tho and Jake to perhaps spell cust at sone point.

Good backline choices even if Ben Trbo isn’t ready we should throw him a chance (why not). Imo double drop Jetski (reserves). Bring Saddler in. Olakautau is injured sadly but 100% Davey should start. Maybe Taupau second-row again as he is a constant hard worker but is nowhere near as impactful as he was in the past. Good to keep him for 80 minutes by conserving energy. Could use his power game in defence to help our weak, stale edges.

I’ve gone cold on Keppie, would prefer Sipley to get another chance (he would be desperate).

I may be clueless, but this is the best forward pack I think we can assemble based off current form of certain players. I’d be so happy if this happened.

Halves/Forwards/Bench
6. Josh Schuster/dce
7. Keiran Foran
8. Jake Trbojevic
9. Daly Cherry-Evans/Croker/Cust
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Martin Taupau
12. Andrew Davey
13. Zac Saddler
14. Cade Cust
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Curtis Sironen
17. Toafofoa Sipley
* btw this is if we went the drop/demote dce route. Otherwise Schuster to centre or 14, dce and foz halves. We’d probably benefit from moving dce to 9 anyways but that is another thread for another day.
Saddler unfortunately can't get a run as he is a development player till mid season or injuries

1 Harper
2 Saab
3 Suli
4 Walker
5 Tuipuloto
6 Schuster
7 Chez
8 Aloai
9 Cust
10 Paseka
11 Davey
12 Huamole
13 Jake
14 Sipley
15 Marty
16 Ben T
17 Foran

Thats the quickest backline we can put out there. I haven't watched the replays but watching old foz trying to chase teddy across field was plain sad. It was a tactic and it worked wonders. Our left edge was the worst I have ever seen in defence.

I remember chez chasing Cody walker across field one arvo at Brookie. Any coach and defensive coach will be ready for this and tell the inside players to drop off crabs and do not chase. Hold the bloody line ffs it is not hard.

Also someone tell Des the leading coaches have cracked the up and in then slide/wrap defence. Man on man up or move on its that simple. If he needs a reminder watch last week and all the games his team leaked over 40 last year.

I will see if I can get hold of the little green playbook from the waterway from him. He ain't no .ad scientist at the edge of innovation he is stuck in his ways. Wake up Des!!

Des won't change anything and we will lose. Something is rotten behind the scenes and it feels like it has been since Tooves got the punt. I'd love to know wtf this basket case of a club is doing.
One word comes to mind accountability. There has been none right from the top down and no one is being held accountable for decisions made, and ever since tooves has gone it’s my way or the high way and if stuff up don’t blame , blame someone else.

Garrick, Parker, Crocker must go !

In are Harper, Schuster and Cust.

This would then be the best available team v Souths -

1.Harper
2.Saab
3.Walker
4.Schuster
5. Suli
6.DCE
7.Foran
8. Jake
9.Davey
10. Sironen (last cahance)
11.Paseka
12.Cust
13.Tapau

14.Sipley
15.Aloia
16.Jetski
17.Funa

So only 3 changes , but with some positional changes a much more balanced team.
But with some structure and belief in EACH OTHER - and that is your job Des to make this happen, so let’s see what you can do to get some pride in the jersey or see ya later mate !!!!
I don't mind how the backline looks with Schuster at centre, although I would put him at lock.

Cust Sipley and Saddler played their way into first grade and should be named on tuesday but oh wait its des noo he will stick with crocker jetski and boyle cause des has no idea

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8