Rd8 Bulldogs v Manly Sea Eagles game day chat thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I just hope it doesnt get ugly, there's going to be plenty of emotion in the stands I hope everyone keeps that in check. The last thing our club needs is negative press about crowd behavior.

The Eagle said:
Cambo,its the dogs who are the leading supporters of being filthy mutts and starting s**t

I know that buddy that's why I'd be
Concerned. Would have loved to been able to get down for it. I think rd 20 at brookvale will be more fun you would think the crowd will be like rd 25
Last year.

Mark Carroll scoffs at suggestions the Manly-Bulldogs clash is 'just another game'
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/mark-carroll-scoffs-at-suggestions-the-manly-bulldogs-clash-is-just-another-game/story-e6frexnr-1226339172728

DON'T listen to the spin, Mark Carroll knows the truth.

"Just another game? What a lot of bulls..t," he says.

The grudge match of the year has finally arrived and the former Manly prop scoffs at talk from both coaches that tonight's match between Canterbury and Manly at ANZ Stadium is like any other. This one is personal.

There is Carroll, wedged between Des Hasler and Geoff Toovey celebrating Manly's 1996 grand final win over St George.

Sixteen years on, who would have thought Hasler would be Canterbury coach and lining up for the first time against Toovey and the Sea Eagles?

Hasler and Toovey have attempted to play down the game as an individual battle but nobody is fooled.

The pair live close to one another and are focused perfectionists who learned under legendary Bob Fulton.

Above all, Hasler and Toovey are winners.

They first met in 1988 when Toovey came through as a pint-sized kid from nearby Belrose. Hasler had already been at Manly for four years after being lured to Brookvale by Fulton in 1984.

They went on to play 593 games between them in the famous maroon and white jumper. But for 80 minutes this evening their past and mateship will be pushed to one side.

"This game is about bragging rights. Des is at a new club and 'Tooves' would love to rub it in," Carroll said.

"Des will be in the players' faces this week and 'Tooves' will be exactly the same. It will be a hell of a match.

"I had a beer with 'Tooves' last Saturday. I told him to load up in the first scrum like the old days. Toovey is still the toughest player I ever played footy with.

"Des dots the i's and crosses his t's - three times over. They both learned off the best - Bozo (Fulton)."

Sales for the match soared yesterday and ANZ Stadium officials expect a crowd of around 30,000. Ticketing gurus believe Bulldogs fans will fill 80 per cent of the seats.

"They are both ferocious competitors," former Manly centre Terry Hill said. "I played under Des and with 'Tooves'. It's crap this is just another game.

"Des can throw off all he wants but I think the pressure is on him. It is a massive game for Des.

"Both guys are very loyal. They keep to themselves and have a close circle of friends. They are very professional."

Former Manly official Peter Peters, a close friend of Hasler and Toovey for two decades, said: "This game will mean the world to both of them.

"The day Des left and the draw came out, this game has been circled.

"Both are absolutely determined and well-rehearsed in what they do. There is great rivalry between them despite being close friends."

.[/u]

305674-boo-cartoon-strip.jpg

Manly captain Jamie Lyon says Sea Eagles not looking for revenge against former coach Des Hasler
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-captain-jamie-lyon-says-sea-eagles-not-looking-for-revenge-against-former-coach-des-hasler/story-e6frexnr-1226339237818

IT'S been built up as the grudge match of the year but Manly skipper Jamie Lyon says tonight's blockbuster against the Bulldogs is not about proving anything to Des Hasler - "we just want to win".

Refusing to get caught up in the hype ahead of the ANZ Stadium showdown, the laid-back Lyon said that he still classed Hasler as a mate - and there was no lasting bitterness as far as the players were concerned.

"For most of the boys I don't think this is personal," Lyon said.

"We are not going out there to prove anything to Des.

"That is not even an issue for us.

"We just want to win."

Asked if he still kept in contact with Hasler, Lyon added: "When I see him I'll have a chat to him but we haven't spoken too much.

"It's a bit hard during the season, everything is full on and you don't really get too much time I suppose.

"But we are still mates as well."

Instead of using Hasler's controversial departure as motivation, the reigning premiers will be focused on trying to kick-start their season in a match Lyon says "will have a semi-final intensity about it".

With the likely return of Glenn and Brett Stewart plus Kieran Foran, the eighth-placed Sea Eagles will field their strongest line-up since round one and TAB Sportsbet has listed them as $1.80 favourites.

"We haven't had too many wins this year so we just want to win," he said. "That is our main aim."

Asked if the Hasler-factor had been spoken about during the build up, Lyon added: "We have mentioned it but we haven't sat down and spoken about it at large.

"It's more excitement than anything. As a team we've had a few players out, we've been unlucky with a few injuries and we've had one or two suspensions along the way with T. Rex and Darcy Lussick and co., so it will be good to get a couple of them back.

"That is probably the main thing for us, worrying about our own backyard. We just can't wait to get a full complement of our team and play some of our best footy.

"We won't be going out there thinking of Des or any of the other coaching staff.

"We've still got the players and we are confident in our ability."

We'll need to play with a bit of fire to win this one. The one thing that bothers me is our lack of grunt up front. Canterbury have some good big men - Tolman, Kasiano, Graham, Pritchard and Eastwood. We're going to have to more than match them, so every member of our pack is going to have to go forward.

Ron E. Gibbs said:
We'll need to play with a bit of fire to win this one. The one thing that bothers me is our lack of grunt up front. Canterbury have some good big men - Tolman, Kasiano, Graham, Pritchard and Eastwood. We're going to have to more than match them, so every member of our pack is going to have to go forward.

George will get his chance to show his worth then.

Disasterous start playing from behind in momentum and points already. Not looking very good at all.Has been the story of the year and more of the same here poor defense and poor attack and ball security.

I dunno Donkeys v Tits is looking average....

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.............YOU.......,

NEIN!!!!

Their ****ing markers are constantly standing next to each other and no penalties you have to be ****ing kidding.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8