Rd8 Bulldogs v Manly Sea Eagles game day chat thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Daniel said:
Carrying 5 on the bench means most likely Kieren and Joe are in doubt

Hi Daniel
I think Kierin will play, have a look who's all dressed up and looking to play. (the dogs can have thier pissy gay t-shirts have a look at our boys);)

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/

The return of the Stewart brothers should give Manly fans plenty of reasons to smile on Friday night
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/the-return-of-the-stewart-brothers-should-give-manly-fans-plenty-of-reasons-to-smile-on-friday-night/story-e6frexnr-1226338336740
LET'S take emotion out of tomorrow night's grudge match between the Bulldogs and the Sea Eagles and concentrate on some facts.

For Manly, this round eight blockbuster represents more than just an opportunity to get revenge against their former coach.

It's a chance to prove something to themselves.

Manly won't know for certain until after tonight's final training run if the Stewart brothers and Kieran Foran will play.

Jamie Lyon said the other day he and his teammates have their fingers crossed.

For good reason.

Take $1 million-plus worth of talent out of any NRL roster and watch them struggle.

But here's why being back to somewhere near full strength tomorrow night will be sure to transform Geoff Toovey's team.

By simply crunching the numbers on the Sea Eagles' tries scored and conceded dating back to 2007, you can clearly see that to get back up into top-four calculations, they need to increase by one try in points scored and decrease by one try in points conceded.

This year Manly have scored just under 19 points on average per game, while conceding just above 18.

Now, if you look back at the three years they made the grand final under Des Hasler - 2011, 2008 and 2007 - they are basically six points either way of being a premiership team again.

This is where the absence of the Stewart brothers, along with Foran and T-Rex, enters the equation. With points scored last year, the Sea Eagles had 162 try and line-break assists all up. Of those, 39 per cent were made between these four players just mentioned.

Predominantly, it was Brett Stewart and Foran who contributed most, roughly 90 per cent of those 63 try and line-break assists.

Then there's what Glenn Stewart adds to the right-edge defence. As the best defensive back-rower in the game, if he's back Manly's right side will be ready to handle big Frank Pritchard and Josh Morris.

This year the Dogs have scored 10 tries down the left-hand side, nine in the centre corridor, and only five on the right. In comparison, Manly have conceded seven down the right, eight on the left, and six up the middle.

Which is why Glenn Stewart's return is so crucial.

372366-images-for-manly-coach-039-s-box.jpg

Snapshot One goes back to round two in Gosford when the Wests Tigers' Adam Blair walked through Manly's right edge. You can clearly see that without him, there was a communication breakdown.

Daly Cherry-Evans has his back turned, Jamie Lyon is square on, which was the right thing to do, while out on the wing the Wolfman is backing off heading towards his own tryline, which allowed Blair a free passage.

Snapshot Two shows the most recent loss against the Gold Coast. Here Scott Prince starts well on the inside of Cherry-Evans before he shows the ball inside to Greg Bird, which attracts Cherry-Evans.

That allows Prince to play short to big Jamal Idris, who went in between Lyon and David Williams to score.

Glenn Stewart will help rectify this through his ability to read the attack which, in turn, puts pressure on the Bulldogs' ball players and decoys.

Geoff Toovey and the Manly players have good reason to be looking forward to tomorrow night, and not just because of the Des factor.

Prior to a few days ago I was quite worried we'll get beaten fairly soundly in this game - Bulldogs will bounce back from thier own poor form and be up for a big performance in this one.

Now that Snake, Gifty, Foz & Kiwi Steve are back (by the looks) though, that strengthens us massively - our boys will put in and give it to 'em good I reckon.

Go Manly!

Sounds like Snake will play! The boys train at Brookie Oval this morning and a mate was sitting on the hill at the time and said Brett was training and looked quick!

Despite everybody saying it's just another game, I think the boys will feel they have a point to prove to Des...I'm genuinely expecting a bit of venom in the hits.
So glad to have Glen Stewart back, the guy oozes class, for mine Gift is on par with Jamie Lyon as our best player and his inclusion will improve our game beyond measure....I don't know why but I have a gut feeling Choc will have his best game of the year, for all his past mistakes no one could question his loyalty, he wears his heart on his sleeve and I get the feeling he hasn't been impressed with what's gone down...anyway it's nice to be talking footie instead of contracts.

In snapshot one of that post, DCE has take the short runner, which was probably both the right and wrong decision. That comes from a lack of communication on the inside not the outside

I hope the match has plenty of fire and brimstone, like our clashes with the Storm.
Let's hope Gallop warns the little kiddies to get to bed early so they are not frighten by the Big Bad Manly Men.

How Important is this Match to You?

Shamelessly nicked from the Kennel.

1 = Just another game

10 = Grand Final proportions

For me, it is a 9.

This is a chance to end months and months of Greenturd

A chance to stick it to the Mutts' fans and remind them that Manly are the premiers.

Plus, with the Storm sitting on 16 points, we cannot be on 6 after 8 rounds. We need a win to get back on track.

RE: How Important is this Match to You?

About a 7 for me .

As much as I would like to smash the fleabags, I would rather keep my powder dry until it's a game that will really sting them .

Geoff Toovey says Keiran Foran "will probably be rested" for tmrw's game. We'll chat to him before the game on @RushHourSydney #nrl

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Geoff Toovey says Keiran Foran "will probably be rested" for tmrw's game. We'll chat to him before the game on @RushHourSydney #nrl

What was the injury?

this is why the larger than normal bench was named, he is in doubt

Napper said:
Daniel said:
bones said:
We will still win.... Glenn Stewart will be the difference.

he may be in doubt as well

Pretty sure him and snake have trained full contact all week. Foran and Matai havnt.

I am trying to start a rumour here and you really aren't helping with that

:)

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8