2nd Trial - Manly V Raiders (& other trials)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think we might have seen that Saab is a bit faster than Koula tonight.
Saab does sprint training with Fabri off season, so I assume this continually helps hone his gait & speed. His running always looks effortless. It would be interesting to see Koula & Saab match race over couple of different distances, say 50 metres & 100 metres. With some very fast backs in the game at present, it would also be good if a race was organized to determine definitively the NRL's fastest.

The stand-outs for me were Jake up the middle and Foz's 80 minutes (would've preferred not to risk him in the last 20 mins but thankfully didn't get injured).
Fingers crossed with the 3 injuries....couldn't believe Marty's in the first minute.
Tom seemed to only be in 2nd gear - fair enough for a trial.
Great try by Koula!
Sipley, Croker's return, Lawton and Parker's defence were all good.
Letting the Raiders back in in the 2nd half was not good.
Wonder if Harper (or who) will play centre in round 1?

Also thought the ground looked in an amazing condition considering it had over 150mm of rain in 30+ hours, let alone the rest of the week!

Des Hasler hopes Marty Taupau and Dylan Walker will recover from injury to be fit for round one, but the Sea Eagles look set to be without another gun back-rower in Haumole Olakau’atu.

Already without Josh Schuster for the first month of the season, Olakau’atu will be sidelined for several weeks after he partially dislocated his right elbow during the 18-16 trial loss to Canberra in Gosford on Friday night.

“The main concern is Haumole,” said Hasler, who was also frustrated by the 20 penalties blown and stop-start nature of the second and final trial at Central Coast Stadium.

“Walks is OK [with his knee] and Marty has a strained back. We took him off as precaution. He could have come back on. It wasn’t his hip. Haumole is our biggest concern.”

Fans were still taking their seats and eating their $15 beef jerky when big Taupau grimaced in pain after a tackle involving Xavier Savage.

Taupau stood Savage up before he fell to the ground and his knees dug int the turf and appeared to part like a wishbone.

Olakau’atu and Walker went down within minutes of each other in the second half. Olakau’atu, who had an enormous breakout season last year, slammed his right arm into the ground and immediately clutched at his elbow. He said afterwards he knew he was in trouble.

A few minutes later, Walker stayed down in back play and clutched at his right knee.

In Walker and Taupau’s case, there will be a sense of relief because they are both keen for big starts to the year given they are off contract at the end of the season.

The Sea Eagles are already long shots to win their round-one game against Penrith on March 10. They have lost their past eight straight season openers.

It was not all bad news, however, with Jason Saab and rookie Tolutau Koula putting the foot down to score explosive long-range tries on the right side of the field.

Saab intercepted a Jack Wighton pass and charged 95m to score after 13 minutes. He clocked just over 11 seconds despite easing down the final 20m. Savage, no slouch in the speed department, appeared up for the foot race early, but quickly tailed off.

Koula then showed his own slick pair of heels when he was put into space and raced 80m down the same side of the field. The schoolboy sprint sensation who once clocked 10.58 seconds for the 100m was never going to be caught. The only player who was near him was Saab, who - to be fair - looked to be jogging next to him.

Hasler, however, said Koula would not start the year in the NRL and Morgan Harper, who injured himself during the All Stars, would be back on deck inside Saab.

The continual penalties in a trial game left Hasler fearing a return to the bad old ways a couple of years ago.

When asked it was frustrating watching the game from the box, Hasler said: “It was, you saw it. It’s frustrating for the fans.”

Canberra trailed 16-0 before they hit back with a try and try assist to Jack Wighton, and a soft four-pointer for Joe Tapine under the sticks.

This loss is very good news.

I have vivid memories of our best seasons coming after really poor trial form.

I would have been worried had we won both by big margins.

On to the real stuff in 13 days time.

Hasler, however, said Koula would not start the year in the NRL and Morgan Harper, who injured himself during the All Stars, would be back on deck inside Saab.
As Des states here that Harper will play first round, we can almost predict the seventeen - assuming Walker & Marty are fit. Elsewhere, Des said "...Karl Lawton and Andrew Davey are in the mix for the Panthers clash." The contentious position is replacement backrower, depending on who is fit, Davey or Burbo. Another option would be to play Keppie in the backrow & call up De Luis.

As Des states here that Harper will play first round, we can almost predict the seventeen - assuming Walker & Marty are fit. Elsewhere, Des said "...Karl Lawton and Andrew Davey are in the mix for the Panthers clash." The contentious position is replacement backrower, depending on who is fit, Davey or Burbo. Another option would be to play Keppie in the backrow & call up De Luis.
No no no to Keppie on an edge. He's a bench mid at best. Still too many errors in him.

jeez, Mr negativity has been sprinkling his Arse juice around here early this year. As others have said it was a trial. we looked well in control and just eased up.

We will be epic this season.

Try not to death ride the boys so early eah? i know for some of you its a hobby but it ain't that bad yet.

jeez, Mr negativity has been sprinkling his Arse juice around here early this year. As others have said it was a trial. we looked well in control and just eased up.

We will be epic this season.

Try not to death ride the boys so early eah? i know for some of you its a hobby but it ain't that bad yet.
It's going to be a great season. Yeah a couple of injuries but we have the depth . Not just fillers either. Bring on 2022. Go Manly.

Jake showing 2017 form whilst Sipley looks like a man on a mission. Tolu didn't have to be fancy with the ball but still defended very well. Parker also outstanding in defence. Foran looking young and fit as ever. Not concerned about giving up the lead, we looked sloppy and wanted to call it game after first half finished. Impressed that in the first half, even though we looked rusty in attack, we managed to defend well enough to turn that somehow into points from Tolu and Saab's breakaway tries. And then we showed that glimpse our well-drilled attacking machine with the Turbo try. Main concern is the injuries, sure Marty and Walkz will still be good in two weeks' time. Losing Haumole for a month is annoying though, guy is one of our few Xfactor strike players, played great again today. The fact we gotta wait for about round 5 for our starting backrowers is annoying. I would go with Lawton and Bully to start with and have Keppie and Davey (if ready) to fill in if needed. Feel like Burbo doesn't offer the attacking capabilities they do and they have about the same defense that he does. Nice that we have strong depth there. Now let's just get round 1 up and running!!! Go Manly!!!

It's going to be a great season. Yeah a couple of injuries but we have the depth . Not just fillers either. Bring on 2022. Go Manly.
I also don’t mind a few early season inquiries provided they aren’t too serious . It gives us the early opportunity to see new talent in the real pressure games. Last years inquiries lifted Olakau’atu and Josh into 1st grade earlish, they delivered. As long as they all don’t go down 5 mins before the finals, i required weeks of therapy last time that happened and apparently became a withdrawn, bitter, unwashed, middle distance watcher..

So, can we accurately predict this as the team for Round One? (assuming all selected are fit)

1. Turbo
  2. Saab
  3. Parker
  4. Harper
  5. Garrick
  6. Foran
  7. DCE
  8. Paseka
  9. Croker
  10. Marty
  11. Bullemor
  12. Lawton
  13. Jake
  14. Walker
  15. Davey/Burbo
  16. Keppie
  17. Sipley
Would put Lawton on the bench to cover hooker as well and start Davey/Burbo

So Voss says the Manly Center / Wing combo of Koula / Saab are the fastest in league history & that moron Parker questions it lolol. I suppose he'd have Hancock / Renouf or Carne / O'Neil lolol. Bloody moron.......wish Voss asked who he thinks were the fastest!!! I don't know of any combo that would come close?

In todays game injuries will continue to plague all clubs and refs will continue with game officials to make questionable decisions
I don’t think we will be impacted any more or less than any one else

All round depth and youth who can mature into understanding their role will be key
The comp will be won by 25 players understanding the role they are required to play fir the team to succeed

Des is pretty good of making this happen
I hope our players make speedy recoveries but if they don’t it is out of our control and fully in control of those trying to step up

I like this culture early in the season as it becomes accepted by the players and the norm when the pressure builds later in the season

I think we will win the comp

Go manly
Agreed , we are primed

The outs for round 1 are an opportunity to re jig and harden up our pack of princesses.

Last year Manly didn't want to be in games they had to grind or get down and dirty.

Forget positions to start with, firstly which two forwards can add that needed attitude?

Then shuffle accordingly.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8