A thread for the death riders

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
If you were on the hill at Brookie & @Soup was there shouting out all the stuff he posts here during a game, does anyone honestly think people around him would be going "oh but mate, Harper had a rough patch for a few weeks after being owned by Olam in the finals last year but he's slowly coming good" OR "STFU YA WHINGING WANKER!"?

Mate, many years ago (as people know, and I've copped plenty for), I was a Bears supporter. As a Bears supporter, I always hated Manly, because they were something The Bears could never be - winners :p .

Anyways, I don't know if people recall this game, but Manly were playing Illawarra Steelers at Brookvale Oval. The scores were really tight, and the crowd on the hill was tense (I had a Bears jersey on), but the masses were very, very quiet. Manly were narrowly ahead by 2 points (or something similar), with literal seconds to go on the clock.

Illawarra had the ball and spread it wide, just out from their own try-line. Rod Wishart gets the ball, and shanties around his opposing winger, and races 80 metres to score the try, and win the match, silencing the crowd (who were shocked - Manly was definitely the dominant team all game).

But the fans sat there on the hill, eyes wide open, jaws dropped, wtf had just happened !

One solitary figure (me) stood up on the hill (right in the middle) and cheered. The crowd was GRUMPY, but you could hear a pin drop. One older gentleman (probably a @Woodsie type @:D) wearing his Pioneer Sea Eagles jersey stood up right behind me. He summarily rolled up his Rugby League Week magazine, and thwatted me right upside the back of the head with it, making a sharp but resonant "slapping" sound.

The crowd erupted into laughter, as I sat back down immediately, in shame ! Hahaha. After a loss. I was very embarrassed. But it was something I'll always remember forever with fondness and a smile.

It's amazing how I could go from that, to having Manly results determine how happy I am week to week, riding the almighty highs, and disappointing lows - hahaha.

Haven’t heard that phrase since high school. @:D
should add - an obtuse reference to a kick in the 'moot' someone already got it though

Attachments

• so-i-married-an-axe-murderer-mike-myers.gif
    so-i-married-an-axe-murderer-mike-myers.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Mate, many years ago (as people know, and I've copped plenty for), I was a Bears supporter. As a Bears supporter, I always hated Manly, because they were something The Bears could never be - winners :p .

Anyways, I don't know if people recall this game, but Manly were playing Illawarra Steelers at Brookvale Oval. The scores were really tight, and the crowd on the hill was tense (I had a Bears jersey on), but the masses were very, very quiet. Manly were narrowly ahead by 2 points (or something similar), with literal seconds to go on the clock.

Illawarra had the ball and spread it wide, just out from their own try-line. Rod Wishart gets the ball, and shanties around his opposing winger, and races 80 metres to score the try, and win the match, silencing the crowd (who were shocked - Manly was definitely the dominant team all game).

But the fans sat there on the hill, eyes wide open, jaws dropped, wtf had just happened !

One solitary figure (me) stood up on the hill (right in the middle) and cheered. The crowd was GRUMPY, but you could hear a pin drop. One older gentleman (probably a @Woodsie type @:D) wearing his Pioneer Sea Eagles jersey stood up right behind me. He summarily rolled up his Rugby League Week magazine, and thwatted me right upside the back of the head with it, making a sharp but resonant "slapping" sound.

The crowd erupted into laughter, as I sat back down immediately, in shame ! Hahaha. After a loss. I was very embarrassed. But it was something I'll always remember forever with fondness and a smile.

It's amazing how I could go from that, to having Manly results determine how happy I am week to week, riding the almighty highs, and disappointing lows - hahaha.
Mate, I was a Bears fan too.

I didn't fully get behind supporting Manly until the Northern Eagles JV fell apart & my kids started primary school & were in the same years as Watmoughs kids & Tooves' daughter was school captain.

I made the decision to support Manly then as they'd always (ironically) been the team I'd kept an eye on outside of the Bears & wanted a local team to follow again (as we'd moved to the Northern Beaches in 2004 from Cammeray) whose games I could take my kids to so they'd get to experience what I'd had growing up with having the Bears & NS oval as a local ground.

Rational football discussion is almost always met with rational football discussion.

But it seems you are saying emotive irrational comments needs to be met with rational football discusion.

Here are some examples of posts in the match day thread from a single poster I wont name.

"We are f*ked"

"Pathetic"

"We haven't been able to defend the most basic of kicks since 1947"

"You just know that we will lose this match" (we were leading at that time)"

"What the **** you dumb f*ks"

"Game over" (we were leading at the time)

Now tell me how to rationally talk football on the above points.

And this is not to attack the above poster, we are all passionate and stress is high during a game but if people are going to hurl abuse at the team I love and give up on the so quickly then I'm happy for a bit of shade to be thrown as long as its not aggresive
If It’s who I think it is, I put him on the ignore list two weeks ago.

You know when I joined this group many moons ago I very soon worked out there were three distinct groups of people on here.

The constant pessimists.
The eternal optimists.
And those that ride the emotion that supporting a sporting side can give you.

Every one of those people are entitled to an opinion and in my view shouldn’t be criticised for having that opinion.

Some choose to bag everything , some choose to look at things with rose coloured glasses , and some like @mickqld and I , come into games with great trepidation , usually with a negative connotation , but then celebrate wildly when we win.

It’s time that we all understood that we are all different , and different ain’t bad !!

haters lovers
believers non believers
negative positive
drunk drunker

and unless your name is Karen, dont be one.

but i like posters that
talk footy
ask the stupid question
suggest something different
make light
set standards higher than mine
say what they see

but my all time favorite posts are when a commentator, analyst is used to justify someone on a particular issue, considering how much time is spent rubbishing the very same analysts, commentator or x player

im waiting for the ryan girdler likes manly, and he would know ,that guy knows footy

Ryno. You know what that slap did?

Mate, I was a Bears fan too.

I didn't fully get behind supporting Manly until the Northern Eagles JV fell apart & my kids started primary school & were in the same years as Watmoughs kids & Tooves' daughter was school captain.

I made the decision to support Manly then as they'd always (ironically) been the team I'd kept an eye on outside of the Bears & wanted a local team to follow again (as we'd moved to the Northern Beaches in 2004 from Cammeray) whose games I could take my kids to so they'd get to experience what I'd had growing up with having the Bears & NS oval as a local ground.
Cammeray?

Life is a Cammeray old chum,
So come to the Cammeray!

this story gets way cooler if later someone on silvertails owns up to being the slapper

Imagine if we can unite Mr pioneer, @Ryan noggin and that very same RLW to the brookie hill , and have a do over , without wishart maybe unless he just loves a do over moment. and he probably would , sounds like it was one of about 5 he actually caught, hands like parker

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10