Manly Match-Fixing Investigation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police probe fresh NRL match-fixing claims
MATCH fixing allegations in the NRL have heated up with police investigating a game from earlier this year.

The Daily Telegraph understands that police are investigating a game between Parramatta and Manly on April 14 this year. Parramatta beat Manly 22-10.

There are suggestions that a man with close links to NRL players placed $18,000 worth of bets on the Eels to cover the points spread against Manly.

The Eels scored three tries in the final 12 minutes to win the game.

In June the Daily Telegraph reported “that a man walked in to Breakers Country Club at Terrigal and fed 10 $100 notes and 340 $50 notes into the pub tab, where no cameras are trained on the machine.

“The unusual betting was all to avoid detection.”

The man who placed the bet is a close associate of at least one of the players involved in the Manly and Parramatta match.

An NRL spokesman confirmed the NRL was continuing to assist police with investigations.

“Our position has not changed…we will take whatever action is necessary to protect our game,” a spokesman said. “Anyone convicted of match fixing can expect to be banned for life but, at this stage, no one has been charged and we should avoid jumping to conclusions.”

Police released the following: “NSW Police Force’s Organised Crime Squad is in the early stages of examining information relating to alleged match fixing in the NRL. No further comment is appropriate at this stage.”

No prizes for who guesses the central coast punter.

6 bets totalling $60, one was for his getting the most tries.

The others were multis for Manly to win, along with any Team in the world that had a name that contained the word 'wolf', that had a game that night :D
And poor Wolfie was drawn and quartered by the NRL over it as well.. 8 week suspension from memory? Ridiculous..

I was sent a message from a retired police officer and he gave an indication of who is implicated. It is someone that has played for us a few years ago. I suppose a lot of people get investigated and so few get charged. Others may get the finger pointed at them by association.
I looked at the stats from Round 7 match. Nothing jumps out but suppose you have to actually watch it to see if any possible issue or intent.

This doesn't make sense. A bet of 18k isn't so suss when you consider how the Eels were travelling at the time and how scratchy we were going. Suspicion has inadvertently been aroused by the manner in which the punter placed the bet, so his ploy has backfired there. The only other way I can see a player being involved is if it was one player only who had the power to call things such as taking a shot at goal when in the attacking zone rather than a tap. For example the player in question could make guarantees such as if we are up by four and get a penalty in our attacking zone I will make sure to take the two points. This would increase the chance of the punter covering the four point spread and detection of any wrong doing would be hard to prove. For this scenario to work it would require the assistance of one or both team captains.

What would have happened if this individual didn't win ?? Does it go from "betting scandal" to "dropkick punter loses $18K on stupid bet". It's called gambling for a reason. If it was a sure fix why are they only dabbling with $18K, they should have been loading up with 6 figure bets.

Why are the NRL surprised that these sort of things will happen. They invited all these sports betting agencies in, take their sponsorship dollars , allow them to promote their services and encourage markets on all sorts of exotics and then wonder why it attracts undesirables and suspicious activities. What was the NRL's dream for gambling in their game ? Mums and Dads having $5 on the pick the score, kids putting $1 of their pocket money on their favourite player to be first try scorer. How naive are the powers that run this game ??

And, this, on the afternoon of the game against the one team I am desperate for us to beat.

Just hope the boys are isolated from all media and focussed on just tonight's game.

The highlights show a fumble and then some strange defensive positioning, but nothing conclusive.
two of the tries came from kicks. One was a play that was a sequence that you would call extremely effin lucky at best, two kicks, a fumble, and a lucky bounce (1:33:50). The next try was a grubber through that Snake fumbled on his own line and they scored (1:40:30). The last was a cut out ball that missed it's target hit the ground and bounced up into Semis' arms on the fly and he runs around Killer to score (1:45:30). How you manufacture those outcomes is beyond me, unless you have a remote controlled Steeden. Full match video here

This is more to do with shady characters putting on dodgy bets then anything to do with match fixing.

Last edited:
Why come out with this on the day we're playing the Eels?! :banghead:
Then again, why come out with this at all until investigations have been finalised and charges have been laid? @:mad:

Because nothing beats a bit of Manly bashing.

Or parra are getting worried about playing us and Arthur super coach thought he best leak something to the media to rattle us... again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8