The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can "t underestimate the importance of his line break for D C E :s try yesterday and when up to that point Manly were just staying in the game . Genuine game breaker apart from his excellent skill set and work rate . Fortunate that D C E was most likely anticipating a no look pass and did well of course to control it and sure that Josh will be able to temper what is still in essence a really good asset in his no look pass option . Good that there will probably always be an option for him to play back row or as a 6 but for now brings so much being on an edge and also certainly hope that there will not be too much of a delay in securing him on a much longer term basis .

So you agree Turbo also needs to improve his passing after nearly bombing a certain try?
It's real simple mate... First thing you get taught in the under 6s is LOOK at the bloke your passing too..
Toms pass wasn't great I agree, but atleast he was looking..
Shuster had no one on his left, wasn't gonna make it himself and had cherry on the right open.. EVERYONE knew he was going to pass right, so why look left??? What purpose does it serve other then too "look cool" whilst almost blowing a certain try by throwing a dud pass BECAUSE HE WASNT LOOKING..
He blew the try on the wing by not looking and throwing the ball dead instead of too an open Winger, and almost blew the cherry try..
It's not needed EVERY SINGLE PASS and it you don't get that then I'm not gonna try explain it again

To be fair Des does also put Parker on the wing who would be equal slowest in the comp with Taufua

I suspect Schuster is faster than Parker and far more deceptive. He used that speed often in the juniors to score tries himself and did it regularly.

I also wouldn't be trying to change his passing style one iota. It is one of his skill set and leads to many breaks. We look at it and say, no way, because for most of us it would be far too difficult to perfect. He obviously has because in the vast majority of cases it comes off and deceives the opposition.

We have to be careful not to judge actions just because we cant do it (have you watched some of the seemingly impossible goal scoring in basketball). Some people have skills that they perfect which we find inadvisable, yet for some its natural. Cliffy had a unique passing style, often the double and triple shuffle and then throwing it the other way suddenly. He struggled a bit in rep games because those around him were not expecting it. But for those players like Menzies who came to understand the style, it benefitted them and the team greatly.

Important to allow a natural skill to thrive and ensure those around him are ready for it. Change it and you diminish his effectiveness.

It's real simple mate... First thing you get taught in the under 6s is LOOK at the bloke your passing too..
Shuster had no one on his left, wasn't gonna make it himself and had cherry on the right open.. EVERYONE knew he was going to pass right, so why look left??? What purpose does it serve other then too "look cool" whilst almost blowing a certain try by throwing a dud pass BECAUSE HE WASNT LOOKING..
He blew the try on the wing by not looking and throwing the ball dead instead of too an open Winger, and almost blew the cherry try..
It's not needed EVERY SINGLE PASS and it you don't get that then I'm not gonna try explain it again
The no look pass was unnecessary on this occasion, but it's still a great skill to have.

The no look pass was unnecessary on this occasion, but it's still a great skill to have.
I agree. He's a talented kid . He had a great game yesterday.. I'm not bagging him at all... It's just something I've noticed when he plays. 90% of his passes are no look passes and it's not needed every time .
Tricks like that are great and work when pulled out at the right time, but lose their impact when used as much as he does currently

Said it many times in the past. This kid has the makings of something very special and one of the best to ever have played for Manly. Just hope he continues to develop, avoids injury, and finally takes the role of 5/8 which is his natural position He's a mix of Lyons and Lewis. Not having to do so much defence would give him extra fuel to use in attack. No reason in my mind Foran cant play hooker, as was originally planned

On what I have seen so far I would prefer him as an edge backrower or centre with a licence to do some playmaking... which is exactly what he's doing now. And he is dominating.

The problem is that neither Josh nor DCE are primarily an organiser in the mould of Adam Reynolds or Nathan Cleary. Foran is, and DCE is going nowhere for a few years at least.

Not every game is going to be like yesterday where we can rely on Tom to just punch holes in the opposition and score at will on the back of that.

Ok but my point stands, people are quick to judge the 19yo rookie who makes an error but line up to praise Turbo ( obviously warranted) but they both did a similarly difficult pass but only the rookie gets called out.

Cleary had a few errors early on both for Penrith and NSW but they let him do HIS thing and didn't change HIS style and it's going okay for him. Luai the same.

I think every Manly player is expecting to get the pass when they come up next to him. They know it’s coming and he pulls it off almost every time. What a great young talent we have.

I agree 100% with this, Schuster is already developing into a really good player and has that amazing skill but geez he nearly cooked that DCE pass unnecessarily. Especially at that stage of the game.

The way Schuster is playing at second row, Fittler may even consider him as a bench player for the ‘Blues’. Effectively he is like a Wade Graham, in that he can cover at least 4 positions, backs and forwards. Now that would cause us salary cap problems.

I love his ‘no look passes’ however, they are certainly not regularly on the chest.

The way Schuster is playing at second row, Fittler may even consider him as a bench player for the ‘Blues’. Effectively he is like a Wade Graham, in that he can cover at least 4 positions, backs and forwards. Now that would cause us salary cap problems.
No please god no. Cap aside, we do not need our youngest being chucked into that rubbish. It just wears them down for no gain whatsoever.

Every Manly player should have a Jamie Lyon clause - the "SOO call up..? Yeah nah, I'm good"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8